November 17, 2017, 08:58:23 PMLatest Member: Tecomotoa

Author Topic: Graphics  (Read 8066 times)

Ben Dyson

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Graphics
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »
If CorsixTH ever needed new graphics, it could be a idea to search on www.deviantart.com.
There are quite alot of graphics and art on there.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
DeviantArt rarely do animations, rarely copy pre-existing work, and rarely produce something in the style of TH (or any game really). I don't think we'll have trouble finding willing artists when the project comes to that stage. Have you seen anything on DA that is useful?

Ben Dyson

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:42 PM »
Not anything in the style of CorsixTh, but I have seen alot of 3d models on there, if someone was to send them a message and inform them about CorsixTh and tell them graphics would be quite helpfull to the project, I am sure that they would help out, if anybody wants to have a look try here;

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
As tobylane says, getting artists and work will probably not be a problem.

What we need is specification of format etc and some programming to support that spec.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

markhobley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
I want to develop some new graphics. I really need an editor. It would be useful if we could butcher the animator viewer and convert this to an editor.

In addition to the facility to paint pixels on the frames, the following facilities are urgently required to facilitate the development of new graphics:

The facility to copy animation frames from position to another. This would enable a frame with a machine in the background to be used  as a starting template for new frames with animated characters in front of it and provide a facility to place the frames at appropriate positions within the animation selections.

It would also be useful to be able to superimpose the frame being edited over any other frame (onion skin style), to enable the background frame to be used as a guide for the purposes of determining scale, placement and position of the animations.

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »
I want to develop some new graphics. I really need an editor. It would be useful if we could butcher the animator viewer and convert this to an editor.

In addition to the facility to paint pixels on the frames, the following facilities are urgently required to facilitate the development of new graphics:

The facility to copy animation frames from position to another. This would enable a frame with a machine in the background to be used  as a starting template for new frames with animated characters in front of it and provide a facility to place the frames at appropriate positions within the animation selections.

It would also be useful to be able to superimpose the frame being edited over any other frame (onion skin style), to enable the background frame to be used as a guide for the purposes of determining scale, placement and position of the animations.
I don't know what you exactly mean, but there are a lot of image editors that can be used to create (pixel art) sprites. From photoshop to Microsoft paint. As far as I understand from your post, the two features you suggest can be achieved with a 'layers' feature, which is available in (almost) every image editor.
Something that would save a lot of time is a way to export the original sprites.

I did an attempt to create a new reception desk a while back. I just made a screenshot from the original reception desk in the animation viewer, imported it in Paint.NET and I drew a new one in a layer on top of it.

I didn't complete it because it's really time consuming and tedious, you literally draw pixel by pixel.
Here are some wikipedia topics about pixel art:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spriting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art
I also tried to model a the desk in blender and render it from four isometric angles, but that didn't had the look of the original game. I really think the game sprites should be pixel art.

@Lego3, Though there is not a format specified ect. it's not a bad idea to start a graphics replacement project because it takes a while (read: years) to complete it. So if pixel artists offer to start such a thing, I wouldn't hold them back because I think it is going to be a problem to find artist who can create the game art in the right style. I know I can't do it.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:04:01 AM »
What's most welcoming to artists, a png version of every image?

Ben Dyson

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »
@Wolter
The reception desk is more modern looking and I wouldn't complain if it was in the game, we could maybe use both reception desk's so there is a choice of desk to pick.
Maybe upload it somewhere so other people can have a go working on it.
Nice Work :)

markhobley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
Ok, supposing I had a .png file with the new reception desk in. How do we get corsixth to use the new reception desk? What do we name the file, what folder do we place it in? Supposing that I had graphics for several different reception desks? Is there a configuration file that says which desk to use?

Also, rather than taking a screenshot of the animation sequences, we really need an export. There is transparency data in the images which cannot be picked up from a screenshot, and we need key pixel positions for the replacement graphic to line up exactly with the positions used in the original graphics. For example: replacement animation frames must be positioned in such a manner that they do not drift relative to the floor tile below, so that the original animation frames can be directly substituted.

Steve

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:44:09 PM »
@Lego3, Though there is not a format specified ect. it's not a bad idea to start a graphics replacement project because it takes a while (read: years) to complete it. So if pixel artists offer to start such a thing, I wouldn't hold them back because I think it is going to be a problem to find artist who can create the game art in the right style. I know I can't do it.

I agree. OpenTTD had the advantage of having many less sprites per object, usually just 8 for the entire movement of a train - we have 6 just for the walking animation of a doctor, not to mention all the other things he does. We would need a single person (or a very very well co-ordinated group of people) to do _all_ the doctor animations in order to keep them consistent. You then need to repeat with the nurse, the patients, the machines...

I think we should hold off on the graphics front for now, we need to build a proper graphics replacement system (just like TTDPatch created and OpenTTD adopted) so that people can turn graphics on and off with ease. Thinking about it, it probably took the TTD community 10 years to get to where it is now.

markhobley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
I think that we need to get some basic frames made. If you have made an animation frame containing a doctor, then publish this for download. Other people can this pick this up and make other frames that utilize the same doctor.

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
What's most welcoming to artists, a png version of every image?
PNG is a very handy format because it's small, lossless and it supports transparency. But I don't know what format the current graphics have.

The reception desk is more modern looking and I wouldn't complain if it was in the game, we could maybe use both reception desk's so there is a choice of desk to pick.
Maybe upload it somewhere so other people can have a go working on it.
Nice Work :)
Thank you. If a graphics replacement is started there should be a central place to upload the work to and to monitor the progress. If that place is created I will upload my source file (which is noting more then the posted image without the background.)

Ok, supposing I had a .png file with the new reception desk in. How do we get corsixth to use the new reception desk? What do we name the file, what folder do we place it in? Supposing that I had graphics for several different reception desks? Is there a configuration file that says which desk to use?...
I respect your enthusiasm but these are absolutely no relevant questions at the moment. There are a lot of things with a much higher priority for programming then a feature to replace graphics. Like getting all the main functions in the game and get the bugs solved.
But if, somewhere in the (far) future, a feature to replace graphics is included in the game, there should be some graphics to replace the old with. That's why I said not to hold off artists who want to start a graphics replacement project. (Note I'm not talking about myself because I'm not going to start it.)

...Also, rather than taking a screenshot of the animation sequences, we really need an export. There is transparency data in the images which cannot be picked up from a screenshot, and we need key pixel positions for the replacement graphic to line up exactly with the positions used in the original graphics. For example: replacement animation frames must be positioned in such a manner that they do not drift relative to the floor tile below, so that the original animation frames can be directly substituted.
I agree with you on the exporting, but the lining-up is not to difficult. Also the animations won't drift because the game uses an orthographic view.

markhobley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
Yes .png is fine and is my preferred format.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
In the Bitmap folder are some .bmp files which are replacements/additions. The .dat and .tab are relevant, they are used in graphics.lua, hopefully someone who knows lua can clue us into what those files are used for.

Noah

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:22:54 AM »
I think we should hold off on the graphics front for now, we need to build a proper graphics replacement system (just like TTDPatch created and OpenTTD adopted) so that people can turn graphics on and off with ease. Thinking about it, it probably took the TTD community 10 years to get to where it is now.

I don't think I would hurt to try things out, at the end of the day, nothing here is set in stone as of yet...experiment