June 18, 2018, 05:17:41 PMLatest Member: [email protected]

Author Topic: A few things I noticed :)  (Read 3116 times)

Martin

• Registered member
    • View Profile
A few things I noticed :)
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:28:41 AM »
Hi there, I found your project through wikipedia when I was reading up on Bullfrog and Theme Hospital. I just installed Theme Hospital again on Windows 7 64bit, and tried out CorsixTH. A few things came to mind when I tried to get it to work, and which might scare new users away.

1) Installing Theme Hospital on Windows 64bit isn't possible. I did a bunch of searches and different solutions came up, though I don't know which one works or not. I opted for copying the content of the CD to a folder on my C drive, and altered the hospital.cfg file. I think it would be a good idea if you at some point added a guide on how to install TH :)

2) When I copied the CD content, I created a folder called HOPS and put everything in there. The CORSIX installer then told me to select where my HOPS folder was. I thought it meant the first folder and installed there. As I tried to run the game, I got two slightly scary looking error windows. I really thought "aw shit..this is going to take forever", based on dosbox experience ;) I quickly came to the conclusion that I had selected the wrong HOPS folder, so I tried to run the installer again but now it only asked me where I wanted CORSIXTH installed, so I couldn't change the folder. Since it didn't work I just copied the content from c:\hops\hops\ to the first directory and it worked. Not a big problem but I do think many won't know what to do in such a situation. Remember that you guys are super smart when it comes to computers, I'm semi smart but most are very bad :)

3) I have a 64 bit OS so I thought I should take the 64 bit installer. Turned out it was a bunch of compiled files, but I didn't know how I could get them to know where TH was installed. I instead took the regular installer which worked, but I was a bit baffled on what to do. The file size was smaller for the 64 bit files, 32bit worked just fine, only the 32bit files had an installer. I also looked in the wiki/help files and the readme but couldn't figure it out.

4) The language was set to Danish as default, but I think the person who wrote is suffers from dyslexia. The installation text suffered from huge mistakes and the in-game was mostly nonsense. Perhaps the language should be English pr. default, and then you can switch to something else if you want to (and on your own risk). We all grew up with the game being in English, the sounds are in English and the manual as well.

5) The standard resolution was set to my desktop resolution (1680x1050). To me it seemed hard on the eyes and I wanted to lower it, but the way it is you have to remember what resolutions give you the same aspect ratio. I knew that 1440xsomething was 16:10 but that was all. I then did ALT+TAB to check what resolutions I could pick, but then my mouse didn't work. I had to tab back into the game, exit it, look the resolutions up and go back into the game. A simple solution would be to add some common 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions to the game that you could pick from :)

Finally, thanks for all your great work. I really look forward to version 1.0 :) Also because I've tried to post the news about CORSIXTH on some hardware/software news pages, but they keep getting rejected because it's about beta software :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:06:28 PM by Martin »

KasperVld

• Community Manager
  • Work to ride, ride to work
    • View Profile
    • Corsix-TH Community website
Re: A few things I noticed :)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
1) http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/GettingStarted?tm=6

2) you can edit C:\Users\ [your username] \Appdata\Roaming\CorsixTH\config.txt to fix that issue, note that the Appdata folder is hidden so you need to seeing hidden folders first

3) The installer is for both 32bit and 64bit systems, I think you downloaded the 64bit archive, which is pre-compiled

4) English should be the default language, unless you install the game in a different language (ie: I think you chose danish for the installation), you can always make contributions to the translation of the game ofcourse :)

5) Actually a good point

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: A few things I noticed :)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »
1. I've changed the text a little now on the GettingStarted page so that it hopefully is a little clearer.

2. I will look into that. You shouldn't get errors just because you selected the wrong directory, only a directory browser to be able to select the correct one.

3. I clarified this too on the Beta 6 page and when downloading the installer. Again, when launching CorsixTH a directory browser should let you choose where the TH files are if you haven't supplied that earlier. So you should never need to worry about that.

4. When you start the installer you should get a chance to choose which language you wish to use unless the game has already been installed once. Danish is based on the Norwegian translation which might be why it looks a little strange. You're very welcome to give our Danish translator a hand if you like. :-) Check the translator forum or the issue "Language: Danish" in the issue tracker for more information.

5. Indeed. The current implementation is mostly because it was the easiest way to add the possibility at all.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.