September 20, 2017, 04:20:25 PMLatest Member: san209

Author Topic: Level board game  (Read 33675 times)

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Level board game
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
PS critique is welcome

Boston

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
I really like it. The car looks nice, maybe you could add some more details like you did with the red and green cars next to the board (the somehow carved in contours which are often found on metal toy cars). I still don't like the syringe though. It looks... too simple for my taste. If you search for pictures of toy syringes you get something more colourful, e. g. this and that.

In general, I think the screen is too...innocent somehow. I always thought about playing Theme Hospital a bit of being a non patient caring corrupt dickhead going in for the money and the fame. Yes, the aspect of playing of course as well, but more likely the play of an adult playing in and with real life rather than a children's mind game. So I would like to have a dark touch given to the screen. This is already a bit in there regarding the great rat exterminator ad (which could also be replaced with a slingshot if you would like to go all the child's play way) but you could go much further for my taste. I do not really want to write many ideas here, but there could be added a bottle of booze or a card of a nightclub for example.

Regardless whether you like this darker theming idea or not, you should definitely add money to the table, because it's a really important aspect of the game. If you like to stick to the childrens' theme, this should be play money, in dark theme it would be - of course - real money.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 04:31:07 PM by Boston »

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 08:18:29 PM »
Really great work! =)

About the events on certain levels:

Level 2 introduces research department (you could add a light bulb on that)
In Level 4 you can train your doctors, although level 5 is where you really need to.
Level 5 has earthquakes
In level 6 you will get epidemics (which is what made the level especially hard to master imo, but after you had that, the later levels are quite easy)

I think that's it.

jorrit787

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »
Again, very nice work! Will the pawn move across the board with an animation, or is it static?

mirek2

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Wow.
Really, really awesome work (it's great to see CorsixTH shaping up so well so quickly).

As per the board game, it looks very professional, yet all the levels look pretty much the same. Could you add a bit more differentiation, like in the original game? Maybe change the orbs up a bit (even a color change would be enough)?
BTW, here's the stuff that's new in each level:
2. Slack tongue slicer
3. X-Ray
4. Training
5. Video games
6. Hair restoration
7. Blood machine/decontamination
8. Electrolysis
10. Jelly vat
11. Aliens

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
If you need to add a dark element to the board, what about the grim reaper?

Steve

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »
I agree with you about the cross, the 6 pointed one looks very much cooler and I think the car is just fantastic. There isn't much higher praise I can give for the board as a whole! I think the syringe and other toys fit nicely, especially with an updated jigsaw, as TTD is one of my roots.

If you can fit the reaper, then awesome, but no bother if you can't, he's a nice secret to keep.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »
Yeah, I also think that cross looks good, but what would it look like with the 4 variant if the actual cross "has edges" (rectangular) while the base is in another color like blue and cylindric? Just curious. ;-)
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
@Boston: Thanks for your critique.   
- The car doesn't have much detail indeed. Maybe I'm going to change that later but I won't add much because in the final scene, the car is quite small and the viewing angle is really high. The render I posted was a large close-up which didn't gave a good representation of the total scene.
- I can see what you mean about the syringe. But it is one of the three items that refer directly to the original. Though I tried to not just copy the original scene I do try to keep the same feeling. I think the syringe is one of the key items to achieve that.
- About the dark humour in Theme hospital I partly agree that's the feel of the original game. For instance, the ending of the intro movie is quite disturbing :o. But the diseases are really funny and not dark at all. The original board scene was also really peaceful. I tend to go for the innocent funny style but maybe there are others who have an opinion about this?
- The money is rather important in the game, so maybe I should add it. But if I do I have to delete something else or it will be to crowded. Personally I don't find it essential to have money in the scene but I could be wrong.

@koanxd and mirek2: Thanks for providing the information about the events. I will see how I can implement it in the board. I'm not sure if it's all going to be implemented. I also am going to try to create a bit more diversity in the city's.

@Jorrit787: My intention is to make a full animation but I don't know on what term that is going to happen. Firstly I never did an animation of this size (so it will be a nice challenge), and secondly I don't know how hard it is to implement it in the game.

@MarkL: Grim reaper is quite dark, but I was thinking to add the blade of a chainsaw. IF I'm going to add a dark element.

@Steve: Thank's for the compliments

@Lego3: If I find the time I might create a few different pawns and we can have a poll :D.

The next couple of weeks I will be very busy, so if you don't see updates it doesn't mean I abandoned the work.

The original scene for reference:

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
I had some e-mail contact with the OpenTTD, OpenGFX developers about the use of the OpenTTD screenshot:

Quote from: My e-mail
Hello,

Currently I'm working on graphics for CorsixTH. CorsixTH is an open source clone of Bullfrog's Theme Hospital from 1997. In one of the graphics I would like to add a jigsaw puzzle of a OpenTTD screenshot, because I thought it will be a nice reference to a similar project. The reference is very subtle and scene will be used if the player is going to the next level.
I made a screenshot of an OpenTTD game which uses the OpenGFX base set that you guys created. My question is, are you okay with this? And should I release the Image under somesort of license?
I attached the screenshot and the (final) render of the scene.
Tanks in advance,

Wolter van der Velde
Quote from: The reply
Hello Wolter,

Good question. The question IMHO clearly is where to draw the line.
After all you "just" take a screenshot from an existing game and use it
in your own artistic creation.

I took your question as an occasion to investigate this issue in general
a bit as similar questions are asked from time to time :-). It seems
it's complicated and that laws in all countries differe doesn't help the
issue :-) The original sources of both, the OpenGFX graphics and OpenTTD
itself are licensed under GPL v2 as you probably know. But then but I
doubt that it makes sense nor that any court would rule that for a
screenshot this still applies; but then wikipedia assumes the same
license for screenshots than for the original graphics. See also
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/02/msg00221.html and
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Screenshots

In order to conclude: I think it's both legally and morally 'fair use'
and you can definitely use OpenTTD screenshots - even if I would object ;-)
It will be nice if you mention and link possibly OpenTTD and OpenGFX as
parts of your resulting image (I'd not have figured it otherwise - at
least not on the first glance - even if I looked at all OpenGFX graphics
certainly more than a couple of times ;-) ) And yes: a nice image you
created there!

Cheers,
Ingo von Borstel aka planetmaker
Quote from: My reply
Hello Ingo,

Thanks for the reaction. I also find it hard to interpret the range of licenses, that's why I e-mailed you. I will mention OpenTTD on the forum where I will post the image, but since I'm not a developer I don't know if it's going to be mentioned in the game. Actually I don't think it is.
And thanks for the compliment :-)
Cheers,

Wolter

So its okay to use  :D.

I made a new screenshot but I didn't had the patience to build a nice railway network so I'm not really satisfied. (The current screenshot is attached)
Maybe someone else is a real OpenTTD fan who can provide a nice screenshot? ;D If so, the screenshot should be of a snow part in a sub-arctic climate because that gives the best contrast with the rest of the picture.
If you don't know OpenTTD, its a open source clone of the brilliant Transport Tycoon Deluxe and it can be found here: http://www.openttd.org/en/ The original graphics are replaced by the free OpenGFX graphics set, which is created by voluntary artists.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:55:28 PM by Wolter »

wolfman

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Nice answer.
I would mention OpenTTD and OpenGFX on inclusion, if I knew where.. we currently don't have a central "credits" file, nor ingame credits. Only in each source file the original author is mentioned in the top of the file.
That's actually a problem for non-sourcecode contributions, like yours. I definately want to give you proper credit if we are to include this.
Which reminds me that the author of our current main menu is also not properly credited, iirc.
We need to come up with a way to credit all contributors properly...

--
@nice screenshot: you could search the screenshot section of the (open)ttd forums for a nice one. Although then you have to be careful that it does not contain other things than opengfx. Or you could search the savegame section, and make a screenshot yourself of a nice savegame. In both cases, I'd ask the author of the screenshot/savegame for approval, just to be safe / out of courteousy.
[The dev also known as Roujin]

Steve

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
A first attempt, I may have gone overboard with the trees!

wolfman

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
I'd turn off all signs for the screenshot. Other than that, nice. Maybe ease up on the trees a bit, true..
[The dev also known as Roujin]

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
Hey it's been a while since I've posted an update, but here is my progress on animating the scene. I made a walk cycle for the pawn on the board. It was really hard to get a smooth and credible looking movement, mostly because I never did an animation before. Don't expect to much there is still a lot animation that needs to be done.
Walk cycle link

@Steve. Thanks for the screenshot, but to be able to recognize OpenTTD in the puzzle there must be more railways, roads, maglev-rail ect. That's the reason I asked someone else to do it, I didn't (don't) have the patience to build such a network myself. ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:49:17 PM by Wolter »

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
I wouldn't complain if this was the animation that would be used in the game, that is how good I think it is!
All that is needed is that he walks on the actual game board, and sounds  :)

Keep up the good work!

By the way, I also think the OpenTTD image should contain a little more that just a simple railway and a small town.
I think it should express most of the "complicated" networks and constructions one can make in the game.
This way I think more people would be attracted to it, and try it out.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide