August 18, 2017, 01:04:32 AMLatest Member: Ghostus

Author Topic: Main menu  (Read 6009 times)

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Main menu
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »
A few weeks ago I created a concept for the main menu. I know there already is a very nice background in the beta4 release, but I love the original (animated) menu so I created one as well. At the moment I'm working on the animation for the menu. I don't know if it is going to be implemented because that will be a lot of work for the programmers, but I really have fun doing it and its a good exercise for me as a beginning 3D artist.
I posted two concepts in this issue but I modified it slightly since then.

Quote from: my reply on the issue:
I also created a concept for the main menu. I like the artwork of mazelm very much but I had an idea and decided to work it out. Its in the style of the original menu of TH.
I am playing with the idea to animate it like the original. I don't know if you even want that, especially in this stage of the development, and I also have to find the time to do it.

The skeleton (including the rig) is created by someone with the nickname: "feelgoodcomics". He shared it license free on blendswap.com. I only modified the head slightly and textured it.
The logo is a modified version of the source file on this site. The textures that I didn't generated or created are licence free textures from google image search.

Software that I used:
Blender 2.54
Paint.NET
Inkscape
Latest version:

In the "Tips" area the tips can be displayed. The title of selected menu item can be displayed on the piece of paper underneath the screen. During the animation this paper will say "Kick Me" as a reference to the original animation.

Dutchy

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Main menu
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
I love it :)

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »
I like it too. :-)
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Noah

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
Looks amazing!

rikkit

• Registered member
  • i do computers
    • View Profile
    • Web design portfolio
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
Love the joke. I keep thinking the game needs more 'flashiness' and this would be a great place to start.

Noah

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:46 AM »
I think using this would be a good way to still keep the Theme Hospital feel, yet make it our own

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
Is this menu project still alive? :)

It looks great, and makes a nice joke for the original TH!
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
I certainly have the intention to finish this sometime. I've done a little less then half of the animation work. But since the coding for getting videos in to game still needs to be done, I put aside this project for a while.
It's not that I wait for the programming to be done, but I'm just in no rush to finish it.

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
Today beta 8 is released so it's a nice day to publish some of the work I've done too.  :)
I finished the first part of the menu project. I hope you guys like it.

The menu items are not yet drawn on the screen because I don't know yet which items there should be. Also, if we leave this video without menu items its very easy to change things to the menu. I would only have to render a still frame with the change instead of a whole new video.

The area with the light bulb is for tips. I thought it would be nice to show the tip if you click on the light bulb. The screen will then fold aside and a random tip displayed. There can also be arrows added to scroll through the tips. This is just an idea I had, I don't know if the developers like this or not.

Another idea I had, is to let the "Kick Me" text fade away at the end of the scene and display the tool-tips of the menu items on that piece of paper (like 'save','new game' ect.).
The text of the game tips and the menu tips can be rendered in-game so that they can be in multiple languages.

Main menu cutscene CorsixTH

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
I love it!
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
A new version with some minor changes and I added sound effects!

Main menu cutscene CorsixTH (with sound)

I also uploaded the original video:

Theme Hospital main menu intro

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
Wolter, but in your video of the new main menu, you see the old CorsixTH logo. Could you update this video with the new logo? Thank you in advance and great work! :)
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »
It would be good as a bonus screen that appears under certain circumstances, but I don't think new players will get the joke. X3