November 16, 2018, 10:56:01 PMLatest Member: Yayoumee

Author Topic: Back after several years - Nothing seems to have changed  (Read 622 times)

Madge deMayhem

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Back after several years - Nothing seems to have changed
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:17:43 AM »
I think the CorsixTH project is a wonderful idea and is impressive in many ways.

I am just frustrated to come back after almost three years and find the same old routing bugs impeding my progress. I've had sacked staff and patients wandering the hospital endlessly, doctors pretending to work in rooms while enormous queues build outside, and rooms with permanently broken doors causing havoc. A significant chunk of my hospital management is spent trying to spot and prevent these bugs.

So this is what I think the project should prioritise:

1) Fix all routing bugs ASAP. Put everyone on this. Leave is cancelled. Perform Satanic ritual if necessary.
2) Implement the AI. The game feels close to being finished, but this omission is particularly glaring.

Optional extras that would be really nice:

1) Overhaul the machine popup. I never understood how machine strength, repair, etc works, and it's because the popup is totally uninformative. It doesn't even have machine strength on there!
2) Epidemics are also hard to understand. Have an info fax with an explanation arrive when the player meets their first epidemic on a level.
3) Make it possible to replay levels already beaten.

I wish everyone involved the best of luck with this project. I wish I was more of a coder so I could join in.

Madge deMayhem

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Back after several years - Nothing seems to have changed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:10 PM »
Like I said, I'm not a coder, nor am I familiar with Lua. Regardless I had a go at looking through the code.

room.lua looks like it is the source of many woes

Suggestions:
1) Have a timer for a patient's stay. Has the patient been sitting in the GP office for two whole months? They are definitely bugged. Remove them forcibly and reset any staff or objects in the room.
      1a) The only exception for this rule is likely to be the Operating Theatre, where we've been waiting on two surgeons for over a year now.
      1b) Also include in this timer sacked staff and patients going home. These are just as likely to be causing problems.

2) Staff quality in room does not appear to exclude Handymen. So dropping a Handyman in the room can magically boost your doctor's performance.

3) Likewise, I also see no staff exemptions anywhere for Receptionists. Receptionists are so extremely limited in their permissible movement, this is unlikely to ever be a problem. However, could be an issue if you dropped a Receptionist in the room at the exact wrong moment?

4) In the hospital generally, have a timer on leaving patients, sacked staff, etc. If they haven't successfully vacated the hospital in a month, they are trapped and something is wrong. Delete them.
      4a) I have never seen it in CorsixTH, but I have witnessed VIPs getting stuck in the original game. Add VIPs to the list.

5) I believe this was already meant to be implemented, but I have a feeling it isn't working. Have a regular check around the hospital and reset any blocked doors that someone has been trying to use for half a year.

As I said, I'm totally unfamiliar with Lua, so I could be very far wrong with all of this.  :P  :-X

LeDocteur

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 01:48:11 PM »
While trying to fix some stuff, I've recently ended up cleaning and rewriting almost the entire Lua code. While doing so, I've come to realize that CorsixTH is as good as dead with the present code, it's like a swiss cheese dropped in the dust and stepped on by many people, so don't delude yourself, CorsixTH will NEVER get any real updates.

Unfortunately, the current devs aren't very serious about it, if I was able to do so much in a few days, I'm sure they would have been able to do a lot more over so many years, if they really wanted to. As for the project manager, he's uncommunicative and unwilling to accept new changes, literally holding the project back, and the mods here on the forum only know how to send people to Github, where they are pretty much ignored... The only option I see is to create a new project derived from CorsixTH and release it somewhere else, sometime in the future, but not sure if it's worth the trouble, are people still playing this game? Besides, a new version of Theme Hospital will be released this year, full 3D and everything, so this could be it for CorsixTH...

Meanwhile, I've already released a temporary patch (see the Private Clinic thread in the Hospital Café) that fixes many of the issues you're talking about, you should give it a go, it still uses the old dirty code, but if you want to enjoy the game, I guess it's better than nothing at this point.

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
Please give the devs some input in the github site.
Post your code there, so they can see what you did (with tracking).
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide