June 26, 2019, 12:37:37 PMLatest Member: nakiux

Author Topic: Store multiple autosaves to combat instability  (Read 1764 times)

Isan

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Store multiple autosaves to combat instability
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:59:35 PM »
Hi, made an account just to make this suggestion :)

I've been playing through the latest beta version, and it's really really good, however my fun is being spoiled by the games instability.

I try to remember to create save points regularly, but sometimes it slips my mind, and when it does it can cost me hours of play as often the cause of the crash began before the last autosave point, so reloading it doesn't dodge the crash.

Thus my suggestion: keep multiple auto saves.
If the game kept 10 (or however many) auto saves that cycled, with each new one overwriting the oldest, then it would at least help to mitigate the crashing problems as we'd always have a fairly recent save to step-back to, and if that one still crashed you could just go back another month.

(if this was implemented then naming the autosaves after the level and year/month they were made would be helpful)

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Store multiple autosaves to combat instability
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
I have to agree.

Someone did a patch many months ago that would do such a thing (one each month I think, so 12) that would overwrite themselves on a yearly cycle, but it never got added.
I wish this could be added soon, even if they were kept in a seperate folder away from the normal saves and autosave.  As you could always move one over in explorer if you had a bad crash and wanted to pick the game up from a month or more before the problem.  Would also help with bug reports as you could attach a before and after save to reports.

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
Re: Store multiple autosaves to combat instability
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:28:52 PM »
I like MarkL's idea about having an own "Autosaves" folder inside the "saves" folder.
This would improve the bug reports, I think.

But should these 12 new saves be shown in the "load" and "save" menu in-game?
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide