October 22, 2018, 01:39:02 AMLatest Member: Bazard90

Author Topic: Epidemic Mode  (Read 7233 times)

sadger

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Epidemic Mode
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »
Hey not sure if this is the right place on the forum (please move it if necessary), but I need a bit of info from those who have played the original game theme hospital.

I will be working on implementing the epidemic code hopefully for the next beta release and need to know more about the details of exactly what happens with an epidemic. How does it start? What does it mean for the players? What are the concequences?

I have information from here http://www.eudoxus.demon.co.uk/thc/emrgncy.htm

But that is about it.

Thanks

Sadger/westforduk

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Epidemic Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
The information in that page pretty much sums them up.

You will find that in the level files of the original (.sam) that each disease as a cont factor which determines how contagious that illness is. 
Note that in the original the epidemic would fail as soon as a patient left the hospital.  I am sure I am not the only person to think this, but it ought to be if they leave to go home, not just leave one building to go to another.  If you can take that into account as that for me and others was a bug in TH.

I look forward to seeing this in the game soon and if you want testers, create an issue on the main site and load what you have done there as I am sure there will be folks willing to test it, including me  :)

Treefrog

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
I remember building hospitals with zero radiators, and having lots of plants, that completely stopped any outbreaks of epidemics.

I used to think that having no radiators made it really cold, so the virus couldn't live very well, and the plants would clean the air, removing the virus.

That tactic saved me money and i had no outbreaks apart from the level they introduce epidemics from. I may have to retest my theory on an older machine just to double check.

I do remember a disease in game that caused a mass outbreak of vomiting, can't remember if its an epidemic or if it was the more vomit a person walks across the higher chance of vomiting occurring.

popester

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:26 AM »
I do remember a disease in game that caused a mass outbreak of vomiting, can't remember if its an epidemic or if it was the more vomit a person walks across the higher chance of vomiting occurring.

Vomit caused vomit, it wasn't an epidemic-influnced thing at all.  You can demonstrate this on the first level by setting up an awful hospital :)

I can also confirm that proximity plays a huge role in how an epidemic spreads.  In fact, I've never seen an edimic person spread the epidemic to another person that wasn't within ~7 tiles of them.  In the original they wouldn't spread the disease from one side of the hospital to another.

Agent L

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
I will be working on implementing the epidemic code hopefully for the next beta release and need to know more about the details of exactly what happens with an epidemic. How does it start? What does it mean for the players? What are the concequences?

I can describe how does it end:
1) time runs up OR epidemic patient (carrier) leaves hospital. Leaving means going outside of a building, including transfer from one building to another (cured patients do not count).
Clicking "send home" on a carrier sets timer to 0 IMMEDIATELLY.
2) when time runs up health inspector is spawned (at usual visitor spawning point) and he locks on nearest reception.
3) moving reception does not change anything, he'll still arrive at the tile and trigger check described next:
4) when inspector arrives at his target tile, a check is performed. All tiles are checked that are inside your buildings, except the tiles occupier by rooms. That means:
- carriers in rooms (diag or treatment) are not detected. (Not sure about toilets, I never build them.)
- carriers outside buildings are not detected.

So, it is possible to exploit to come clear out of epidemic in following ways:
- delay inspector (indefinitely) by blocking one and unblocking another path to reception
- discharge all carriers (if they manage to leave your property before inspector arrives)
- twiddle with taking a doctor in and out of diag room to make sure patient is inside when inspector checks.

It can be described in character as :
- Health Ministry has a disease-sensing satellite, it can spot anyone outdoors.
- Health inspector asks receptionist for live video feed from security cameras (which are only in corridors ofc) and can tell who's sick just from it (and you thought your consultants diagnosing in one interview were good : P )

(The vomit-virus is different mechanism, like boiler breakage.)

medic

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:47:59 PM »
Ok, so epidemic mode is where a multitude of patients get the same ailment and need to be prioritised. Depending on how many people (sometimes it may only be one patient) are infected will depend on the fine proposed.
I am an avid gamer, and the epidemics I have seen are gut rot, with people defecating and vomiting all over the floor hehe. Radiation virus, so lots of people needing the decontaminator. Sweaty palms virus, Infectious laughter... actually, now I come to think of it, it can happen with any disease/infection. It tends to happen when you have too many people waiting in line for medical attention, and when you have a higher number of patients with a virus/infection than other types. E.g. one time I had 5 patients with radiation and then it became an epidemic. However, I think it is also tied into how well or poorly you are running the hospital;

Sometimes when I am losing a whole load of money the game gives me loads of epidemics, if I overcome them I save myself for that period and usually make it through to the next year. Alternatively, I lose! OR
Sometimes if I am doing exceptionally well, the game will send me an epidemic that might fine me $51000  if  fail to cure all the patients (or do some tricky stuff to cover it up) This then hinders my success. I like this component because it is extremely challenging.

Oh and sometimes if you cannot cover up the epidemic or heal the patients then the inspector clears out your hospital... everyone has to evacuate. LOL! Again, depending on your gaming skills - this will either be a relief or you end up losing big time.

The fax asks you whether you want to take the fine and take a hit to your reputation or try to cure/cover it up.
If you accept the challenge, you get a timer (same as in the medical emergency) except this has a little vaccination/syringe on top of it. You can vaccinate patients that have a little frog like thing over their head symbolising their infectious status. This helps contain the epidemic.

Oh, now, one last thing, if you evacuate a patient who has the epidemic (lets say either bc they are dying or you evacuated them in error) whilst you are trying to cover it up and have enough time to cure them all. The timer goes completely red and shortly after, the inspector comes. You then have to, as quickly as you can, evacuate the infected people before he gets through the hospital....

Hope that helps.