July 16, 2019, 09:15:45 PMLatest Member: Light99

Author Topic: Optional Earthquakes!  (Read 3721 times)

Ol_Joe

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Optional Earthquakes!
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:48:25 AM »
2 points to raise:

1: Early on earthquakes offer an addition level of annoyance as the janitorial staff has to be increase / improved / better governed but later levels its not just a frustration it's a curse, 3 EQ in quick succession can knock out some of the most expensive machinery before even the largest most well paid janitorial army can effect repairs.

As such my proposition > Optional (select / deselect) earthquakes on all maps.

2: A more efficient 'mouse removal' method... sometimes i find that inspectors would show up in the midst of what appears to be the black plague in terms of the number of mice / mouse-holes...

Litter is controllable at nearly all levels of the game, heating, thirst etc etc all easy to maintain but, the mice!!!

I don't have any real suggestions but some form of 'automatic' response to mice / mouse-holes is required from the janitors (as they do all other tasks automatically)

(also: these are motivation made playing the 'real' Theme Hospital, apologies if these are inaccurate to the Open Source version... which I intend to acquire in the immediate future. oh.. and Hi .. Thanks for making a cool game and reminding me all about it!  ;D )

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
Re: Optional Earthquakes!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »
Nice suggestions. It's just a shame that neither mice or earthquakes have been implemented yet.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »
My view is that if earth quakes make it in to CTH that they be more moderate and less frequent.  The whole thing of the screen being all over the place was annoying and the complete destruction of machines also a pain.  There was also the thing that the quake ended, you would check your machines and all would seem okay and then a day or two later BANG, you lose some rooms.
If the screen movement can be a wobble and machine damage be slight depending on how long the quake lasts and the damage ceased once the quake was over, would make it an acceptable annoyance.  That way if you are not maintaining machines they may get destroyed, otherwise they are just damaged would work for me.
In TH it says that mice holes should go if the hospital is clean, but I don't think that was the reality.  So if we do get mice. then perhaps their numbers should relate to how clean your hospital is, the same with the holes. So if you get mice because you have a dirty hospital, but then get your act together and employ enough handymen to do the job, then the mice problem should go away along with the holes.  That would work for me.
The last annoyance was the epidemics, I am sure we can do better.  Don't fail just because someone left one building to go to another would be one wish.  The level of the fines was high, the compensation poor and really annoying if you managed to get rid of one, only to get another a day or two later.  It would work better if you only fail when someone leaves to go home.  If you fail, let the fines be on the same level as the compensation as you when you succeed. Lastly, have a gap of a few months before you can get another one.

agentmrx7

• Registered member
    • View Profile
    • my youtube account
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:37 AM »
I wouldn't mind earthquakes if it was possible to remove the room after the machine has been destroyed.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »
I like that idea, perhaps charge extra to cover the cost of removing the old room and build the new one and a penalty to cover any deaths it caused when it blew up.

Wolter

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »
I was thinking about the annoyance of earthquakes a while back and had this idea of using fire extinguishers to save the machines.

After an earthquake is passed and one or more machines are heavily damaged and smoking, a meter appears (like emergencies) and you have to search for the smoking machine(s). When you found one you click on the fire extinguisher in the room, the cursor changes to a fire extinguisher, and you start spraying the machine to save it.
If you do not succeed to save them all before the time runs out, the remaining smoking machines will breakdown and the rooms will turn uneditable like in the original. The machines you did save are also wrecked but can be replaced.
The fire extinguisher can only be used in the room it is placed in, so a room without a fire extinguisher is unsaveable.
Another difference with the game would be that all machines that are smoking needs to be sprayed, also if they breaks down for other reasons.

There are no extra graphics needed for this idea; the existing graphic of the extinguisher can be used as a cursor and foam would be nice but not necessary.

This concept has, in my opinion, three advantages:
- The earthquakes are less destructive than in the original
- it adds a new game element
- fire extinguishers are actually useful

mirek2

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
I was thinking about the annoyance of earthquakes a while back and had this idea of using fire extinguishers to save the machines.

+1, I really, really like this idea. It always bothered me that fire extinguishers were useless.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
I like that idea too, it gets my vote.  For the cursor, if you could not use fire extinguisher  because of scale there is always one of the cursors for epicemic as that looks like it could spray