December 17, 2018, 08:10:58 AMLatest Member: Petakerky

Author Topic: Personality of doctors  (Read 8397 times)

Dr. Rivers

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Personality of doctors
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
Hello,
Does the personality of doctors (the description of them in the hire screen) actually have any effect/impact on the gameplay in Theme Hospital?

At least as a I kid I did tend to think that it did have an effect on the gameplay because of the animation of the "crazy" doctor in the laboratory that was played when one lost a game.

Best regards,

kona

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Personality of doctors
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
My best guess is that the descriptions do not. I too, as a young one, thought they made a difference. I would believe that the differences are made by how you treat(pay)/train the staff.

wolfman

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »
Currently in CorsixTH, these descriptions are random and do not affect gameplay in any sense. IIRC though the type of descriptions (good, neutral, bad) are chosen according to the skill of the person, meaning that a person with high skill will likely have a positive sounding description, while one with low skill will have a negative sounding description.

I have heard rumours that in original TH some of these descriptions tied to actual gameplay, namely something like "works relentlessly" resulting in fast movement speed, even if the person is not a consultant.
If you are able to run original TH and want to help us out, you could check these kind of things and report back here if there is actually something behind those rumours - then we can implement that in CorsixTH too.
[The dev also known as Roujin]

Dr. Rivers

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »
I haven't been able to run the original TH in a virtual machine so I haven't had time do get a dedicated Windows machine up and running to play the game. I should get some free time this month to play around with the game again.

Best regards,

Dr. Rivers

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:05:07 AM »
Finally got around to playing the original game with this objective in mind. I hired a doctor with enough experience (mid level) with a bad reputation and I passed the level. Maybe the animation of the "mad doctor" was because of too many patients dying? This still needs a few more gaming hours to verify.

One additional thing that I noticed when compared to CorsixTH is that in the original game the doctors don't get tired that fast. Also, doctors who are wandering around in the corridors don't get tired as fast as if they were in a room, while in CorsixTH they get tired at the same speed. On CorsixTH is this on purpose or just something that no one has got around to tweak?

Best regards,

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »
Maybe the animation of the "mad doctor" was because of too many patients dying?

The mad Dr is something that can happen if he gets over tired and does not take a break.  I don't think that this is in CTH yet.

On your other point; "staff do not get tired  that fast" they don't get tired when wandering the corridors, they only get tired when they work.  I believe that this is the same in both TH and CTH now.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
I have heard rumours that in original TH some of these descriptions tied to actual gameplay, namely something like "works relentlessly" resulting in fast movement speed, even if the person is not a consultant.

I have been researching Theme Hospital for another issue for the last few weeks, so last night I decided to check out this rumour as well.
Speed of staff is only related to the ability bar, it has nothing to do with the description when you hire them.  I have previously also compared this description to see if it affected the attention to detail bar; and it does not. From what I can see they are random and you can get a lousy sounding member of staff that actually has an high attention to detail and high ability - making him fast.  By the way the speed relates to all staff, not just Dr's.

groovybluedog

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
Interesting. I always thought gameplay would always be impacted by the descriptions. Glad to hear it doesn't matter.