December 12, 2017, 07:53:19 PMLatest Member: LoPAzz

Author Topic: How are object/character interaction animations implemented?  (Read 2749 times)

pakl

• Registered member
    • View Profile
How are object/character interaction animations implemented?
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:19:48 AM »
Hi all,

First big compliments on corsix-th! Impressive effort! I stumbled upon this project because I wanted to take some screen recordings of Theme Hospital animations to clarify a generic question I asked on gamedev.stackexchange.com:

How do character/object interaction animations work in isometric games?

Once I edited the question with images from Corsix-TH I realized that the fine people working on corsix-th could probably tell me exactly how the animations work in Theme Hospital so I wanted to ask it here too.

I would appreciate it if anyone could spare the time to clarify how the sprites are set up. Just trying to understand the theory of how such a game works a bit better.

cheers,
Patrick
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:23:33 AM by pakl »

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: How are object/character interaction animations implemented?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
In TH there are actually one set of sprites for each animation. For example the patient chair in the GPs office has a lot of different animations for each patient type, where the chair is in each one of them... I wouldn't suggest that method though.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

pakl

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:21:25 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. Interesting! Wouldn't have thought that. Do you happen to know how the desk/chair animations in the GP office are setup for the doctor?

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
If you download CorsixTH there is a program called AnimView bundled with it (at least in the windows version) where you can check all the animations. The desk animation for the doctor is aound number 58 while the nurse is at around 3250.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

pakl

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 03:06:31 AM »
Fantastic, thanks!