October 21, 2018, 08:17:40 AMLatest Member: Bazard90

Author Topic: Beta 8 & Latest development snapshot  (Read 3159 times)

JEDIShadow

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Beta 8 & Latest development snapshot
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for the amazing job you've done.
I've been playing the latest beta 8 version of the game and it works really well. Nevertheless, I downloaded the latest development snapshot and I can't get it to work. I'm working on windows 7 ultimate 32-bit.
What I did was download beta 8 and latest development snapshot from this forum, and replace the original files (beta 8 installer win32) with the new ones (development snapshot r1489, also win32). I believe that's what it is supposed to do.
When I start cortix-th.exe from the folder, the main cd icon of theme hospital (cd-image with doctor, nurse and the other guy) appears, and then i get the following error:

An error has occured in CorsixTH:
C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\graphics.lua:324: bad argument #1 to 'setFace' (st
ring expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'setFace'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\graphics.lua:324: in function 'loadLanguag
eFont'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\graphics.lua:372: in function 'loadFont'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\ui.lua:154: in function 'constructor'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\class.lua:73: in function 'UI'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\app.lua:306: in function 'loadMainMenu'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\app.lua:254: in function 'init'
        C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\CorsixTH.lua:119: in main chunk
        [C]: ?
C:\Program Files\CorsixTH\Lua\audio.lua:466: attempt to index field 'ui' (a nil
value)

Did I do anything wrong?
Thank you very much, and best wishes for your hard and fantastic work

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Beta 8 & Latest development snapshot
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
One thing that might cause this is that we've moved around some files in the Lua folder, resulting in many copies of the same file if you just copy paste over the old directory. So if you delete the Lua folder and then insert the Lua folder from the snapshot it might work.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

JEDIShadow

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply, Lego3, I've finally found the main problem.
After completely replacing (removing and replacing, that is)not only the Lua folder but also the other 2 (Bitmap and Levels) and the remaining files, the game still gave me the same error. But then, instead of installing the game in Portuguese language (Beta 8 installer), I tried to install it in English, and then removed completely the three folders (Lua, Bitmap and Levels) and the remaining files and replacing them for the ones in the latest development snapshot. The game worked!!!! :)
Also, I've found out that Portuguese language is not present in the latest revision. Coudl it be the main problem to cause the game to crash and give me that error?
Also, as I'm portuguese (european), do you need a translator for the in-game text?
Thank you very much for your help

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:13 PM »
I'm glad you got it working!

But I have to disagree with you.. The Portuguese language file is present in the newest revision.
At least the file is in the revision .zip file, but I can't check if the game can load the file.. Maybe the current translator have made a mistake in the code.

There is already a person adding/editing the language, but if you want to give a helping hand, you can contact him here:  https://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/issues/detail?id=251
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:16:27 PM by Grimdoc »
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

JEDIShadow

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
I'm glad you got it working!

But I have to disagree with you.. The Portuguese language file is present in the newest revision.
At least the file is in the revision .zip file, but I can't check if the game can load the file.. Maybe the current translator have made a mistake in the code.

There is already a person adding/editing the language, but if you want to give a helping hand, you can contact him here:  https://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/issues/detail?id=251

That's really odd, but to me Portuguese language isn't really working.
As I stated, what I did was to install CortixTh with Beta8 installer in this download forum. I selected the install language to be in Portuguese. Logically, when I ran the game, the game would be already incorporated with Portuguese language. But, when I tried to copy-paste the files from the latest revision the game would crash and give me that error. As Lego3 posted, Lua files could be different and would require to completely delete the old Lua folder and to only paste the new one, without replacing any files. That also did not work. But I finally remembered to try to install the game running English setup. I fresh installed a new CortixTH, with Beat8 installer in English, and not in Portuguese, and then replaced these files from the latest revision, and the game worked. And what's really odd about this is that in the main menu, when I go to the options, all the other languages are available, except Portuguese (at least this happens with me). I have no idea why this happens...
But, after all, I've managed to run the game thanks to you, even if it isn't in portuguese, so thanks a lot.

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:30 AM »
Go to your CorsixTH folder, then go to the Lua folder, and then into the language folder.
Do you see the portuguese.lua file there?

If yes, then there is a problem loading the file into the game (the translator most probably have made a mistake in the coding or something). Please tell me if this is the case, and I can check the language file for errors.

If no, then you don't have the necessary file. Just copy it from the revision file (I just checked, and it is there), or download it from the link I gave you in the last post.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

JEDIShadow

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:53:44 AM »
Go to your CorsixTH folder, then go to the Lua folder, and then into the language folder.
Do you see the portuguese.lua file there?

If yes, then there is a problem loading the file into the game (the translator most probably have made a mistake in the coding or something). Please tell me if this is the case, and I can check the language file for errors.

If no, then you don't have the necessary file. Just copy it from the revision file (I just checked, and it is there), or download it from the link I gave you in the last post.

Yes, the portuguese.lua file is there, but does not appear in the options menu.
I'll send you 3 print screen files - main menu, options menu and languages folder

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:30 AM »
All languages which require another font file are missing, which portuguese also does now. You can read more how to do it here: http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/Fonts
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

JEDIShadow

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks Lego 3 and Grimdoc. The game is working fine now, it really was the font issue.