November 19, 2019, 06:37:02 PMLatest Member: TBCKaspersky

Author Topic: Project-TH is changing!  (Read 14484 times)

jackyboyhenry

Project-TH is changing!
« on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
Due to ea declining our theme hospital clone request, we are unable to create a theme hospital clone with add ons.For people thinking of creating a theme hospital clone without using the original files, then you will probably be sued.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Project-TH is changing!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
How much would need to be changed? Are you allowed to publish what they sent you?

This doesn't change the first and current phase of the project, an entire clone.

Steve

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
I'm not sure I understand this topic. EA have said that you can't use their sprites to create an exact clone of Theme Hospital? That's not surprising, but what does this have to do with add ons? Why does it mean you can't create a clone with brand new graphics, like OpenTTD has?

jackyboyhenry

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
no , you are unable to use any of there stuff , without their permission, the add ons that were going to be for project-TH , were for new features of theme hospital.
Corsix is safe because it uses the original game files , meaning you have already purchased theme hospital (no harm done) , you would have to change all the graphics and make it a bit different in concept.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
I don't think I understand the thread either... Did you think they would send you the source code/specifications, or why can't you continue?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

jackyboyhenry

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
i didn't think they'd send me source codes , i cant continue development of a clone like corsix th but without the original files.
They declined the permission request i had sent them and saying to anyone else that they will probably be declined if they do the same thing as me.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »
I think we can still push the line, ie original multiplayer with IPX is near-useless, a clone can use TCP/IP.

We can just do what Linux does, supply it separately/offsite. It's not the same as the binary blobs, but there are ways around it, first of which is not asking imo. I'm not sure how this comes into it, but you are allowed to reverse engineer something you bought (or demo), so a separate program with different graphics could grab what little it needs.

Plus, it is abandonware. EA may only be saying that as a mark of trying to keep their copyright, they don't actually care but have to show a sign of doing so.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:08:10 PM by tobylane »

KasperVld

• Community Manager
  • Work to ride, ride to work
    • View Profile
    • Corsix-TH Community website
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 02:44:17 PM »
i didn't think they'd send me source codes , i cant continue development of a clone like corsix th but without the original files.
They declined the permission request i had sent them and saying to anyone else that they will probably be declined if they do the same thing as me.
So what you're saying is that you cannot distribute the original game files?

jackyboyhenry

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
well i dont want to get prosecuted for somthing like this , so i dont know how to makes sure.I really like the game , and wanted to change so many aspects of it.

Steve

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »
Sorry jackyboyhenry, I'm finding it really hard to understand you!

I've been quite involved in the TTD community, so know a lot about how OpenTTD has gone about things. In their case the code was reverse engineered and they now have a code base which is very similar to the original game. Orginally the releases of OpenTTD did not include graphics or sounds for copyright reasons, but more recently the open source community have managed to produce a complete set of graphics, and these are packaged with the game as a complete product.

CorsixTH is in an even better position as the code is completely rewritten and only resembles the original game in what it creates, not in the code itself. EA won't just hand over the rights, as that's not a very profitable thing to do, but I imagine they will turn a blind eye to us using their graphics as long as we don't distribute them for free.

So the only issue would be that CorsixTH implements the ideas of ClassicTH. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know how much you can copyright an idea.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Sorry jackyboyhenry, I'm finding it really hard to understand you!

I've been quite involved in the TTD community, so know a lot about how OpenTTD has gone about things. In their case the code was reverse engineered and they now have a code base which is very similar to the original game. Orginally the releases of OpenTTD did not include graphics or sounds for copyright reasons, but more recently the open source community have managed to produce a complete set of graphics, and these are packaged with the game as a complete product.

CorsixTH is in an even better position as the code is completely rewritten and only resembles the original game in what it creates, not in the code itself. EA won't just hand over the rights, as that's not a very profitable thing to do, but I imagine they will turn a blind eye to us using their graphics as long as we don't distribute them for free.

So the only issue would be that CorsixTH implements the ideas of ClassicTH. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know how much you can copyright an idea.

We're not talking about CorsixTH here, but Project-TH which jackyboyhenry has started.
Is the "only" problem that you cannot distribute the original graphics with your game?

rikkit

• Registered member
  • i do computers
    • View Profile
    • Web design portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
The point of Project-TH (as stated on their homepage) is to make (basically) TH2, with independent graphics, new features, etc (like CorsixTH will eventually become :p). Jackyboyhenry is saying EA aren't allowing this to happen, because Project-TH wants to use its own graphics.

I find that hard to believe, but this post is just to clarify what's being said..

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
The point of Project-TH (as stated on their homepage) is to make (basically) TH2, with independent graphics, new features, etc (like CorsixTH will eventually become :p). Jackyboyhenry is saying EA aren't allowing this to happen, because Project-TH wants to use its own graphics.

I find that hard to believe, but this post is just to clarify what's being said..

Ok, so you can't call it "Theme Hospital 2"... That doesn't change much. You don't need permission from someone just because you plan to do something similar.

jackyboyhenry

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »
You cant make a "different named" theme hospital clone , with the same graphics.They are not letting us use the graphics and the sounds from the original.
The only way corsix is getting past the "barrier" of ea is because they use the original theme hospital files , showing that the person has already bought theme hospital.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »
We will always (I expect) use some files of originalTH, it just may get fewer and fewer, not graphics but still levels, maps, staff, etc.