April 26, 2019, 02:07:03 AMLatest Member: Geafanoo

Author Topic: So many pharmacy deaths :(  (Read 7622 times)

brendan221

• Registered member
    • View Profile
So many pharmacy deaths :(
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:51:19 AM »
I'm continually getting deaths with pharmacy patients. Recently I've been firing all nurses with low attention to detail and I added an extra pharmacy so they'd be cured earlier. I've also been putting more research into drugs than the other categories but still I'm getting frequent deaths. Is this normal or is there something else I need to be doing?
54%
Yep, throw them on the operating table Doc!
I don't care what their family is saying, we've got 6 people with life threatening sweaty palms arriving in 2 minutes!

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: So many pharmacy deaths :(
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:29 AM »
It depends on which level you're on. On the later levels the drugs used in the beginning are only 75 % effective, which means that a fourth of the patients will die. You need to start researching better drugs and possibly reject some patients going to the pharmacy to keep your death rate low.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

brendan221

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »
Thanks for the response! Intriguing, it has definitely been worse in the last few levels! I'm playing medium and I'm on the one after the one when you get nearly all Junior Doctors.

Do you mean just when the question marks come up along the bottom or can I take a look at any patient and see their chance of success?
54%
Yep, throw them on the operating table Doc!
I don't care what their family is saying, we've got 6 people with life threatening sweaty palms arriving in 2 minutes!

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
The ones who are 100 % diagnosed still just have a 75 % chance to survive due to the "bad" drugs. If you accept for example a patient where the doctors are "75 % sure which type of invisibility this patient has" then it's even worse, since on top of those 75 % you need to add the uncertainty of the drug itself.

chris.beet

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
I'm not sure if it was intentional to make it so that every "bad" drug resulted in death, or an omission.

In the original game, if a patient received a "bad" drug they would not always die. Sometimes the drug would simply fail to cure the patient, and they would be sent back to a GP office and then sent back to pharmacy to try again.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
True, I've never really understood why they went back to the GPs before. :-) Cool

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
In the original game, if a patient received a "bad" drug they would not always die. Sometimes the drug would simply fail to cure the patient, and they would be sent back to a GP office and then sent back to pharmacy to try again.
This is not something I can remember happening, but I can check it out at some point!
Are you confusing this with epidemics?  As these patients could in theory end up with two illnesses, it is possible they go back to get diagnosed for their original illness once they have been cured for what they got in an epidemic.

chris.beet

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
I don't think I'm confused. I have completed the game dozens of times on all three difficulty levels so I know the mechanics very well.

As I recall, patients who caught a contiagious disease in an epidemic actually lost their original diagnosis (in fact they never had a diagnosis assigned to them), they could only have one diagnosis at a time. Patients who already had a diagnosis and were heading towards a cure room were "immune". Only those who did not yet have a diagnosis could catch the disease from another patient. Once the infected patients were cured of the contiagious disease, they left the hospital as per a normal patient.

This is why (if I'm not mistaken) the contagious diseases were confined to the non-visual illnesses with the exception of serious radiation, which caused a few epidemics.

The only time I've ever seen a patient return to a GP office following an attempted cure is following a failed pharmacy cure.

Epidemics always had at least one patient who was fully diagnosed, and then a number of patients at various stages of diagnosis ranging from awaiting intial consultation with GP to diagnosis bar full, awaiting final consultation with GP. The number of patients involved in the epidemic could usually be predicted by the fine you would have to pay when the epidemic was declared (2000 per patient). At this point patients could be affected with the disease and contagious; affected with the disease but not contagious (having being vaccinated by a nurse) and cured. To successfully cover up the epidemic, all patients had to be either cured, or discharged from the hospital in whatever state. As long as there were no patients in the hospital who had the contagious disease, the health inspector knew nothing about it. Rendering the patients non-contagious with a vaccine was not enough - they had to be cured. The vaccination simply helped you to prevent further spread.

My strategy was to let any fully diagnosed patients get cured (so I get paid), send any patients with a full diagnosis bar straight for cure (as there is no risk - diagnosis % = 100 and the final GP consult is superfluous), and any patients with less than 100% diagnosis were discharged immediately. There was of course the annoying bug that meant if a patient walked outside on their way to be cured the health inspector was notified. If that happened I just discharged them all straight away, they were usually gone by the time the insepctor arrived. I rarely got fined by the health inspectors and made a fortune from the compensation payments!

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
what symbol did these show above their heads,  as I can only remember cured, sent home and the ones about to die?

I also recall the details you mention about epidemics, our strategies are pretty similar.  As for getting two illnesses, that was only a thought, not something I had seen.  One strategy I sometimes used was to once notified about an epidemic was to remove reception desks, send someone home that was contagious and wait a minute.  The health inspector would not spawn as there was no desks.  Replace the desks and you never got another epidemic in that level.  ::)

What you say about what can become an epidemic fits with what I remember and a quick check of the sam files confirms this.  Most are actually pharmacy type illnesses, which what made me think that maybe they go back to get cured from their original disease.

All very interesting, it would not be the first time someone has seen something in the game that I had not noticed.  I will be testing this out now for myself as I want to see what symbol they have - if any.  Thanks

On a different subject, seeing as you are very knowledgeable on TH, did you ever get your head around the mechanics of over charging?

chris.beet

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
Do you mean the over-head symbol for failed pharmacy cure? If so, I don't think there was one.

I sometimes got caught out by the reception desk removing strategy. I'm not sure what influences whether it is successful or not, but sometimes the inspector would come anyway, and stand at the point where the desk used to be, and then you'd get a fine.

Yes I remember most being pharmacy illnesses, which is why I always kept my pharmacies next door to the GP's. With consultants in the GP offices, many patients could be dealt with very quickly and epidemics were easy to handle, as nurses were nearby to vaccinate, and patients didn't go outside to get to the pharmacy.

To be honest, I don't think I ever bothered with over-charging. It didn't seem necessary to use it to win. My strategy meant that it always took longer to win a level, as my overheads were high (all doctors are consultants) and so the hospital never made much profit until towards the end, so I always ended up waiting for the bank balance to build up to the target even though all the other objectives had been met ages ago. The advantage was significantly fewer deaths and a very efficient hospital that patients stayed in for a very short period of time.

I got away with this thanks to the levels not being time-limited, something which I feel the game is lacking as it is very, very difficult to lose (I never, ever lost a level and came close only a few times), and you will always win eventually, if you're prepared to wait long enough.  Either the levels need to be time limited or the lose criteria need to be tougher, then I'll have to rethink my strategy, which can only be a good thing as the game is too easy for me now.

I did notice that some patients refused to pay even when the price was set at 100% (i.e. normal price), which seemed odd. I never really dived into the SAM files much, but I suppose there must be something in there which makes a patient decide whether they are happy with the price or not.

Sadly I can't get the orignal game to load now. It used to work until I changed to x64 Windows, and now it will not work at all. If I ever find a way to get it working, I'll experiment with the pricing and see what I can deduce.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »
Have you tried Compatability mode?  I am using that at the moment as my old win95 pc is acting up.  it works with Compatability on win7 64 bit, the mouse is a bit slow, but I think that is down to it being a usb mouse.
I am testing out level 6 and so far no deaths and no going back to the GP either - I'll keep trying as I want to work out the odds of it happening.  Does it happen on all levels where drugs are not at 100% or mainly the higher levels?

The over charging is a mystery, I remember the same things about some complaining even though I had not altered the charges.  I have some theories, it may have something to do with what the AI's are doing or it may be to do with inflation.   There is one level where the inflation rate is very high and there is one level where the briefing tells you to fleese the patients and not worry about deaths - were they the same level I wonder? One other theory is it may be linked the the repuation, i.e. if it starts to drop, the patients may no longer be happy about paying the higher price.  In TH the charges that are levied seem to be determined when they enter the hospital and not when they have been to a room.  For instance you have a patient waiting to go back to the GP, they are more or less diagnosed so you click on guess to keep the queues down.  they don't pay the treatment charge they pay the GP charge.  Now that may be punishment for guessing, I don't know.  If it is this way, then suppose you have a patient that is waiting for a room and keeps wandering off to the loo, fetch a drink etc.  When they first joined the queue the charge was $120 and the rep' was 600.  While they have been going back and forth the rep has dropped to 500, now $120 seems expensive.

It would be good if you could get TH working too as the more people there are checking on the details the easier it will be to replicate it.  At the moment there is still a lot of this sort of thing to work out.

MRMIdAS

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
Also, in the original TH, drug research didn't stop at 100%, it moved on to making the cures for different strains of the disease universal, so a guy with Uncommon cold A would die if given Uncommon cold B vaccine, but later on, the research department discovers a drug that cures both, decreasing deaths.

TheCycoONE

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »
Very informative thread; I had noticed that patients were much more likely to die in Corsix than they were in the original game, but I didn't know the reason.