April 20, 2019, 04:38:27 PMLatest Member: dontwanttoregister

Author Topic: Give the Receptionist a soul!  (Read 5485 times)

BenVenn

• Registered member
  • CorsixTH Map Builder
    • View Profile
Give the Receptionist a soul!
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:16:57 AM »
After all these years playing Theme Hospital, I always had an issue with the Receptionist, once you hire her, she's like your personal coffee slave. Although I like slight hints of godliness power in my hospital like that, surely she too should get tired and need relaxing? After all, she does stand there, year after year, without saying a word, or moving, or even speaking. Poor thing.

If its only me, I say involve the Receptionist!~
Try Manager Mode today!

lh912

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Give the Receptionist a soul!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
I also like the fact she never asks for a pay rise!

Rmarks170

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
I love the idea of giving the receptionist some sort of soul, making her tired and thirsty and even asking for a raise.

But I was also thinking of new skills for the receptionist, things that will help her become more efficient (or even less efficient) at the job in hand.

For example, computers are an integral part of modern medicine and any good receptionist will not be seen dead without one. But just having a computer does not mean you know how to use it well. So it could be that a receptionist has to have computer training to send patients to the right department.

Also how about an "overload' setting for receptionists. Basically the longer the queue for the desk, the more "flustered" and prone to mistakes the receptionist becomes (sending patients to see the wrong doctor or nurse or something like that).

Finally sex. Would love to see both sexes represented in all classes of the game (mm may have to make a new post).

Tggtt

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
After all, she does stand there, year after year, without saying a word, or moving, or even speaking. Poor thing.
At first I agree, however, if I'm not mistaken, in the original TH, the receptionist voices the announcer, I think you cannot hear the announcements without the receptionist while playing the original version.

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
I think that a big way to fix this would be to expand the whole reception area. Make it a three-sided desk. One receptionist can handle the basic stuff, but adding more makes them more efficient.

DracoGriffin

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »
I love the idea of giving the receptionist some sort of soul, making her tired and thirsty and even asking for a raise.

But I was also thinking of new skills for the receptionist, things that will help her become more efficient (or even less efficient) at the job in hand.

For example, computers are an integral part of modern medicine and any good receptionist will not be seen dead without one. But just having a computer does not mean you know how to use it well. So it could be that a receptionist has to have computer training to send patients to the right department.

Also how about an "overload' setting for receptionists. Basically the longer the queue for the desk, the more "flustered" and prone to mistakes the receptionist becomes (sending patients to see the wrong doctor or nurse or something like that).

Finally sex. Would love to see both sexes represented in all classes of the game (mm may have to make a new post).

I like this "overload" idea; but in general, giving life to receptionists would be a nice bonus. I was going to make a separate topic but wanted to just bump an older one to get some more ideas flowing.

Also, maybe each area (the purchaseable plots / parcels) would require a receptionist to improve throughput and handle traffic queues more efficiently; for instance if GP Office queue is set to 6, then receptionist can check all GP Office queues that are less than 6 to send patient there instead of overloading certain offices. (I believe this is already in game by design but not entirely sure.)

Another idea could be Receptionists increase staff happiness within certain radius/tiles of offices/rooms as if the Receptionists are helping with filing, chores, etc.; whatever doesn't fall necessarily under "Handyman" duties. Plus, I'm sure a Doctor in a GP Office would rather patients go through the Receptionist instead of constantly bothering him as he tries to meet with patients. :P