August 18, 2017, 06:16:01 PMLatest Member: Ghostus

Author Topic: capital Misuse  (Read 2995 times)

Omni

• Registered member
    • View Profile
capital Misuse
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
The original language file uses capital letters for words like Doctor, Emergency, Patient, etc. even when it's in the middle of a sentence. This is incorrect use of capital letters but I figured this is to point out it is a "controllable item/humanoid" in the game.

The same has been done in the Dutch language file, allthough normally we wouldn't use capital letters for these words. I discussed this with Maarten, and we think it would probably look better if we just uncap these words.

Unless this has a function for the game, so what do you all think about it?

Grimdoc

• Community Manager
  • Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
Re: capital Misuse
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
It is wrong to use capital letters like that in Norwegian too, but we haven't changed it.
Anyhow it helps point out the names and titles for stuff and staff in the game text.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Omni

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
Ok in that case I will leave it as it is, so it will be consistent over the different languages.

thanks Grim!

Grimdoc

• Community Manager
  • Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
I don't know if it is consistent in all of the languages though.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Alberth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
In my view, you want the optimal translation to the language you're translating to. I'd see this as a mistake in the current Dutch translation and fix it.
I see little point in keeping things consistent between languages, as each of them is independent anyway.

Omni

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:15:02 PM »
I agree that you'd want it to be optimal for every language. I would also prefer to change it.

The reason why I bring it up first, is because the original language also uses capitals where it's incorrect. I don't want to take the liberty to make these changes when there's some kind of reason to use these capitals. (and then be told to change it all back)  ;)

Alberth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Original as in the English version?

Afaik especially American English uses capitals a lot. So to them it is optimal :)
Copying conventions from one language to another does not seem useful to me at all, they are language-specific by definition :p

Changing Dutch would not be a problem I think, if all translators agree. Changing the original strings is a different matter though, I don't know what the project policy is about that. I believe the strings from the original data files are used. If that is really the case, they cannot be changed, as it would mean changing the original files.
(Which can be done of course, but then you cannot distribute them.)

Omni

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
Yes all the original english strings come from the original files, so that would be a different story.

I have a try and can start changing the capitals to see how that looks before uploading it.