October 23, 2018, 06:29:15 PMLatest Member: Bazard90

Author Topic: Earthquake crash.  (Read 9355 times)

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Earthquake crash.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
Earthquakes were a real challenge in TH, I hated them because of the damage they could do.

that said, it was all part of the game.  You can get through earthquakes without exploded machines, usually by replacing them with new ones just before they exploded if the quake was really bad.
So then it is only your bank balance that suffers.
It will help once the smoke is added and the siren that warns you of an impending explosion is added.

alfev

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
First post on here, I just downloaded your game a couple of days ago.

Brilliant work on the game, well done everyone who's contributed.

I understand that you're trying to keep it all true to the original but the earthquakes are spoiling it for me and I don't remember that being an issue when I used to play the original.

I created a level, just quickly, I made the map the right sort of size for every room with all 3 parcels. When I get into the game massive earthquakes start happening and, even if I'm right on top of repairing machines and everything is like new, I end up with unsuable rooms all over the place.

Personally I'd like to see the back of earthquakes altogether but I supose that's sort of the point of them. That not being an option, the severity of them definately needs to be lowered.

For example, if you have a machine that is already damaged say 6 out of 10, fair enough, if an earthquake hits it may blow up, lesson learnt, keep your machines maintained. One earthquake shouldn't be enough to destroy a machine that's like new or anything above 6 out of 10 damaged in my opinion because then you're surely always going to end up with a hospital full of unusable rooms ultimately. I'm suprised more people aren't telling you earthquakes have made it unplayable for them because they have for me, I've maybe just been unlucky because I haven't been playing it for long.

So basically my sugestions are;-
1) lower the severity of quakes.
2) make quakes a configurable option within levels (turn them on/off, adjust severity?, adjust time interval?)
3) consider whether rooms should be unusable forever after blowing up or if the original got it wrong.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:19:25 AM by alfev »

alfev

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Wooooo there! Slow down, too many replies. Come on, one at a time.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »
1. This does indeed most likely need to be tweaked. There should for instance as you say be a limit how much a machine can be damaged during a single earthquake.
2. Adding too many options for players has not been our philosophy, at least not yet. The game is about micromanagement, but not about option micromanagent. :-) You can of course edit the level files themselves and tweak the earthquakes, but I don't see any options dialog ala OpenTTD in the near future...
3. No, we are staying true to the original as it is now.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

douglasrac

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
Unfortunately edit the levels are not enough. I edited one level and put only 1 earthquake and still after that I get many random earthquakes. I lost an entire wing of the hospital on that. I don't think its good for gameplay, because I have no time to react at all.

If the problem is only money, that would be fine, but its not. I have no control and it ruins the game, because I won't have space to recreate the rooms I lost. Then its basically game over. The game starts being condemed to be game over no matter how good you are at it.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »
Don't lose hope, there is a possible fix for this issue https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/pull/123.

It needs some further investigation, so fingers crossed it could be fixed for the next release, by the end of the year.
At the moment though everyone is busy with other things and we all do this in our spare time, which we all seem to have none of at the moment.

I think the problem is that the game generates earthquakes randomly with the exception of the first few campaign levels, so no matter what you put in the level file it will create more.
Earthquakes also need to be toned down  a little as they do a lot of damage even to new machines with high strength.

douglasrac

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
That is good news. Thanks for the reply and for the awesome work in the game.