September 24, 2018, 09:43:06 PMLatest Member: HolyDante

Author Topic: Translator Tool  (Read 4159 times)

FluffyKitten

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Translator Tool
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Hi all.

I've thought to ask you guys if you'd like a silly translator tool I coded for fun.

It was initially to translate English to any silly languages Google had (but the translate API doesn't appear to include those!)

Nothing fancy or smart, but grabs English strings from english.lua and parses them via Google translate.
Which may be a starting point for some translators or those who can't read English well and want something legible.

It's VB6 code, not overly sane/readable as it was a lunch-break challenge.
Source & Compiled

If your interested, I'll upload it somewhere to use.

tobylane

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Translator Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:41:05 PM »
Yes please! I was trying to work out how to do pirate without thinking up the words myself. No-one seems to have made what you have (or I can't think what to search).

FluffyKitten

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
No problem. I'll upload that tomorrow.

Looking at the Dutch Lua, it seems way more comprehensive, so may be the better 'base' file to translate.

I will say that (serious) translation is fairly wasted on me, plus it relies on Google translate.

If you can find an online translator that's better or can do gimmick languages, let me know so I can add them.

I'd like to figure Lua more - perhaps have an auto-translate for un-supported languages if possible!

wolfman

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »
Well, as long as automatic translations are only used as a base and revised by a human being, okay. But I oppose using translations if they're the output of a translator tool - often they will be wonky and may put off natural speakers of that language. Then I'd rather not have any translation in that language at all and have natural speakers of that language play in english, until one of them is encouraged to start translating to his language :)
[The dev also known as Roujin]

FluffyKitten

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 09:11:38 AM »
Of course - some words aren't translated either being grammatically incorrect or portmanteau, which are left as-is by the translator, by which sentences get muddled (especially as English can seem ordered weirdly to other languages).

The 'auto translate' is more tongue-in-cheek - I'd rather be coding usefully for TH.

As for a Pirate translation - I've tried one - it's pretty good!

FluffyKitten

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
Pirate, Swedish Chef (my fav so far), H4XR -  I can just upload as-is.