June 24, 2017, 10:21:14 PMLatest Member: ZombieAndy

Author Topic: destroyed rooms  (Read 7601 times)

Rmarks170

• Registered member
    • View Profile
destroyed rooms
« on: December 28, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »
I do not know about other people, but personally I find destroyed rooms to be annoying and an eye sore.

So would there be a way to restore rooms to use or to be removed completely?

I am not talking about rebuilding the contents of the rooms, that would just be silly. But say after an earthquake, once the room has been destroyed you can send a several handymen in to clean up the room. It is not a quick job, and would require a minimum of 2 handy men an approximate time frame of 6 months to prepare the room for use once more.
Even after the room has been restored to a useful state, maybe as well patients could suffer extra health degeneration when using it or something like that.

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
Re: destroyed rooms
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
1. Good idea! And I like it.
Especially that you would bind up two of your handymen for restoring the room.

2. That is unfortunately not how the original game worked. A destroyed room could never be repaired.
And we would have to figure out how the room would look after it was restored... Should it be an empty room of the kind that was there before? If yes, then we must make an exception in the code for allowing a room without equipment. If no, what should be there instead? How should the player choose whether to restore the room or leave it damaged?

3. I would say we could implement such an idea if the player could turn on/off such a feature.

4. What does everyone else think about this idea?
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
I like it too, but it would require some new graphics too?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Alberth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
Hello,

What I would like is separating the concepts "walls" and "room". One step
further is also separating the concept "room" and "things".

First some definitions:

- walls: The vertical structures and doors in the hospital plots.
- things: A collection of devices that you can buy.
- tile area: A collection of tiles surrounded by walls (for now, the area is always empty).
- room: A tile area that has a function in the hospital, eg GP's office.

Currently, you build a room by first building walls (always a rectangle), and placing things in it.

When you separate "walls" and "room" concepts, you can
- build walls: By building walls, you create one or more tile areas.
- designate a tile area as being a 'room': Place the things inside, and you have its function in the hospital.
- undesignate a 'room': It becomes a tile area again, and you get its things, either for designating another tile area, or for selling.

From a game perspective:
- It allows non-rectangular rooms.
- You can have 'empty' rooms, or 'storage rooms'.
- You can have non-reachable corners (just check reachability before allowing a tile area to become a room).
- It adds the problem of existing walls when you move rooms to another location.

Changing walls can be made arbitrary complicated. Both sides of the wall should be a tile area. Nobody is allowed 3 tiles around the construction work. It costs a lot of money. (It quite soon needs additional graphics, so it may be wise to keep this relatively simple at first.)

One step further is to also let go of the connection of things and rooms.
This adds that you can have things that are not used in tile areas.
Then you can
- build walls: (same as above)
- buy things (and place them)
- sell things
- designate a tile area as a room: It should be big enough, have all the right things, and be reachable
- undesignate a room: It becomes a tile area with things again.

It makes that you can have a storage area available for use as you see fit.
You can introduce limitations in buying for example.
You can also have a monthly cost for having a room (not sure whether that exists now).

Most of these things don't really require new graphics, I think.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:26:54 AM by Alberth »

Daimos

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
i think it would be simple and nice, if this room can be removed totally (maybe with handyman, or two). No graphics change required. And option to turn in on / off.
Like in OpenTD game... there is nice menu, where u can turn on/off some changes from original game

(sory for english)

wjhulzebosch

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »
I do not know about other people, but personally I find destroyed rooms to be annoying and an eye sore.

So would there be a way to restore rooms to use or to be removed completely?

I am not talking about rebuilding the contents of the rooms, that would just be silly. But say after an earthquake, once the room has been destroyed you can send a several handymen in to clean up the room. It is not a quick job, and would require a minimum of 2 handy men an approximate time frame of 6 months to prepare the room for use once more.
Even after the room has been restored to a useful state, maybe as well patients could suffer extra health degeneration when using it or something like that.

I to hate this; not because it costs money, but because my neatly planned hospital gets ruined after 1 earthquake and because it's not realistic: everything could be cleaned up, after sufficient time and money. However, Maybr a simpler way would be to prevent de destruction of rooms all together and force a replacement of the machine once the strength drops below 5% orso.

Haravikk

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
Just run into some destroyed room woes in a later level, very annoying!

My vote would be for the damage to just disappear over time, as it's probably the simplest method. Could be done by having the remains smoking away, and the smoke dying off as the room comes close to resetting. Once reset it's just a bare room again, and editing will let you restore everything that was previously in the room (at cost of course, you did let it explode after all).

I do wonder if fire extinguishers should have some impact on this effect? For example, shortening the time it takes to recover from an explosion, and with fire extinguishers in corridors having a lesser effect but for several nearby rooms?

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Well destroyed rooms can be challenging, because you have to reorganize and see where to fit your new room. But the concept is useless because you can save and reload your game whenever you want. So in the end it's just annoying.

I wouldn't mind if you could just remove the room by paying some amount of money (which could be specified in the level parameters, or depending on #rooms.cost). Some of the ideas here sound wild and complicated xD

Giradox

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
Damned hair restorers. That's all I'll say.

Edited out the swear word, please remember that it is not only adults that can access this site!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:52:42 PM by MarkL »

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
It doesn't really make sense that if a room gets destroyed it can never ever be used again. My preference is that you should be able to mark it for demolition and then the handymen don yellow helmets and destroy it in one month using over-the-top tools.

mridlen

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »
This was also a problem with Theme Park, where a destroyed ride would leave rubble behind that could not be moved. However, it was much more obvious and easier to prevent that from happening in the first place.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
There are still some things to sort out, which means at the moment machines are a little more likely to explode than they ought to be.
Once we can add smoke to warn that a machine is in need of urgent repair, sort out the warning siren and the counter that determines when these things should happen, it should become less of a pain.
It was however a part of the challenge in the levels with earthquakes to improve your machines quickly so that they were less likely to explode.

mridlen

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
Maybe a way to have the equipment flagged for a fix once it dropped below a certain threshold, and/or auto replaced after a certain number of uses? I've been playing on speed 4 (slowing down to 1 for important alerts), replacing equipment after 30-40 uses, and and basically all I'm doing is making the rounds clicking repair everywhere I possibly can on things with even the slightest bit of wear, 5 researchers with about 50% dedicated to improvements, and I still had one explode last round. It can really get frustrating. It's like there's a great sim trapped underneath a tower defense game.  ;D

That comment seems really negative, so I just want to say, thanks for all your work on this!  8)

Michelrpg

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
I dont care how it will work, as long as this happens. Currently I play the game on hardmode, and it's just impossible to get past the (I think) 7th level, greenpool. Here's what happened to me in just one session:

One or two earthquakes happen a year, and they deal -insane- damage to my machinery. No problem normally, but for some reason my handymen are all glitched and they do not fix machinery unless I specifically tell them to (normally they perform proper maintenance). The only time handymen walk in to machines is RIGHT after they are about to blow, killing the handymen. In fact, during my last game I got fed up with 2 machines blowing up (inflator and hairdresser or w/e it's called) and I replaced -everything-. Thats right, every machine. Since I already had nearly every plot bought, I decided to place rooms I really needed the most as additional extra's which filled up the remaining space. Not long after, another earthquake took place. In total, in a brief time I had the following things happen:

earthquake 1 = destroyed Inflator, Cast remover. My fault, they were outdated and I didn't replace them.
Earthquake 2 = destroyed operating theater, hair restorer. Got fed up, replaced -everything- with new and improved machines. Set several handymen on full-mechanics only (roughly 6).
Earthquake 3 = destroyed Shower, X-ray, Scanners x2, Operating Theater, Cardio, hair restorer, Inflator, Slicer.

I quit the game instantly. There was no way for me to win this level with so many machines broken and no way to repair the rooms. I don't know why but many rooms were glitched as I noticed personnel no longer entering them (or leaving them when I placed them in), which was sure to also not help me.

tl;dr the destroyed rooms need a fix. Wouldn't it be possible to just use the "cut" option to remove a room entirely for a fee? I don't specifically need a new animation or system for this, just the ability to remove the destroyed room. Additionally just a way to "break" machinery without them exploding would also be fine.

Nicau

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »
I love this idea too !

I'd like to second Daimos' method : make the destroyed room an empty space again. It seems the simplest to implement.

That way the earthquake is still quite dreadful to the Hospital Manager :

-You spend quite some time with unusable space and maybe the impossibility of building the same room elsewhere
-You have to pay extra workforce to clean the mess
-You get a financial and hospital value hit