November 20, 2017, 02:17:43 AMLatest Member: Fernouille

Author Topic: destroyed rooms  (Read 8672 times)

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: destroyed rooms
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »
Earthquakes still need some work, but you will be glad to hear that a small change in the upcoming release makes machines explode when the strength is 0.  Before now it was working on a percentage which meant they were exploding sooner than they should.

Some other tweaks should stop handymen becoming stuck when a room explodes as well. This won't stop all the issues with earthquakes, but it is a small step in the right direction.

The next step is to introduce the warning tremor, so you at least get a warning and can get as many machines as possible in the best condition they can be in.

ChrisP

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
I agree that something needs to be done to improve the earthquakes gameplay. It's remarkably frustrating to permanently lose a room to an earthquake.

I've been playing a lot of build 0.40 and I can have brand new equipment used once or twice which explodes at an earthquake (seemingly regardless of how many handymen I have). The prospect of  re-loading a save from 10 minutes ago (or longer), moving through my hospital replacing every machine or calling a handyman for repair, saving again just before the earthquake and really hoping I didn't miss a room - all just makes me lean towards selecting to quit!

An alternative would need testing to ensure earthquakes are still a troublesome game mechanic. I would support as suggested; maybe a time penalty (the room becomes serviceable again after a period of time), or a money penalty (maybe a fine and clean-up charge to restore the room) or both.

Debuff

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »
I think it should just be kept simple. Once a room is destroyed, you can just delete it like any other room and rebuild it. Wouldn't that be simple to code in from a programmer perspective?

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Rooms being destroyed is part of the challenge.

What we need to get right is the tremor before the main earthquake, as this warns you to check on your machines. 

ChrisP

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Rooms being destroyed is part of the challenge.

Granted this specific experience is from a custom level in the latest build (although no earthquake controls where configured in the level), but I've had literately brand new machines explode during an earthquake. Not so much of a challenge, and not something a warning would have helped with!

Maybe this is just a problem with earthquakes being a bit too extreme to early in the level when there is no configuration in a custom map?