November 23, 2017, 11:10:37 AMLatest Member: calwallace

Author Topic: LAN-Mode  (Read 8166 times)

o0Julia0o

• Registered member
  • :)
    • View Profile
LAN-Mode
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
hi :) a LAN-Mode would be very great. I donĀ“t like to play singleplayer, but i love to play in LAN. Lan let games life long. Saving in LAN would be great, too.

I Love LAN :)

julia :)

BenVenn

• Registered member
  • CorsixTH Map Builder
    • View Profile
Re: LAN-Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »
This is also something I've been looking forward to. But I'd rather have the Singleplayer campaign mode finished and perfected first before I saw multiplayer introduced.
Try Manager Mode today!

BvDorp

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »
A multiplayer mode would be great, and difficulty on the coding part depends on the implementation ofc.

Here's maybe an achievable idea. What if a game with multiple players could be setup, each with the same map or a map with (somewhat) equal parameters. There could be a region, let's say a pool of patients who need to decide to which hospital to go to, to some degree. So let's say there's 100 patients/month in the beginning, and 70 of them decide on a hospital according to numbers like death rate, temperature, speed of processing etc. The parameters could vary per patient (or per group). This way, a player with a better run hospital would have a benefit in the numbers of patients incoming, and a worse hospital would have less patiens entering in.

In order for this to work, the same speed would be neccesary for each player to be able to compete on the same level.

Some more elements could higher the competitiveness. For example:
  • In-region chat
  • Buying epedemics / rats / other sabotage actions for another hospital
  • Benefit for being able to threat more diseases
  • Same pool of staff to choose from
  • Ability to alter speed at the cost of money

Coding wise, just a really small server that would regulate patients based on simple stats and some kind of chat implementation would be needed. This would be quite lag-independant, and would even allow for players to drop-in or drop-out.

Just my 0.02! Looking forward to more input and/or discussion!

BvDorp

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »
So, let's extend that previous idea with a co-op mode .. !

Another idea: compete on campaigns. Set-up a Campaign with maps and goals, implement just a chat protocol and you could run a campaign for an extended period of time, and see who's the first to reach the end!

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
Please open a new issue about this, when you want a new option in-game. Also look here for the most asked options:

fixed the link
http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/ProgrammingIdeas
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:04:15 PM by MarkL »
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

BvDorp

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, is it OK for non-devs to just open up any idea as an issue? I'd think it's actually easier to have a discussion and gather some ideas for the concept and coding implementation first?

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Yes, it's better to discuss it here first! The issue tracker is mainly for bugs and other issues with the game.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
Yes, you're right.
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

BvDorp

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
Some sort of lobby for matchmaking would be required as well. Perhaps someone can use some ideas from the different open-source lobby programs for the Spring games (open source remake of Total Annihilation) which can be found at http://springrts.com/

Trevor

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
Defiantly need rats. Maybe you can steal from the pharmacy unless you get shot?

o0Julia0o

• Registered member
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:33 PM »
..so when is the LAN-Mode planned at all..(Target date: 2013?).

" We will start introducing multiplayer when all the options from the original Theme Hospital are implemented."
-> https://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/wiki/ProgrammingIdeas#Multiplayer_Support

The original-game had a LAN-Mode, too. So you can introduce the LAN-Mode now ;) I think, this will give the game a real boost!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:10:13 PM by o0Julia0o »

TheCycoONE

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:17 AM »
The only thing holding back lan mode is that no one has volunteered to code it (and followed through) yet.  It will take substantial dedication from a volunteer to work LAN into CorsixTH.  Because no one is currently working on it, there is no schedule for when it will happen.

I'm also looking forward to the day it does, maybe as much as o0Julia0o.   ;)

Joe

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
If no one is already working on this, then I want to have a go at designing and then implementing a LAN multiplayer system and mode for CorsixTH. I know there's at least one person who has said in the past that they would work on this but they've not been heard from for a long time.

If someone has already done some work for a LAN mode then I would like them to contact me so that I can make use of their hard work and have less work to do myself. I'm willing to work with other developers on this task.

I've created a new Github discussion for this enhancement where I will be posting comments about my progress when I start working on this soon.

BenVenn

• Registered member
  • CorsixTH Map Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:39 PM »
I'm still very excited by this idea of multiplayer making an appearance so soon. Keep up the good work, I hope the concept is still progressing
Try Manager Mode today!