November 20, 2017, 11:35:48 AMLatest Member: icy_boi

Author Topic: Level editor updated 15Oct 2013  (Read 24710 times)

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Level editor updated 15Oct 2013
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »
hello everyone, koanxd here with a new name!

Because I love this project and I love to make custom levels in any game, I've put some work into making a GUI level editor. Using notepad to edit .level files was getting a bit tedious and error-prone.

However you should know this is my first application to have any practical use. I pretty much started it to learn java and to test myself. It has helped me alot but I also want it to help you!  ;)

Included in the zip are a runnable .jar and .exe file. You will need Java Runtime Environment installed to run it.

Please always backup your level files before using the program and report any errors you find! Any help or suggestions are welcome.

**known issues**
 * it should not be possible to choose non-existent diseases for an emergency.

**future improvements**
 * give warning when there is no way a disease can be cured. (because the rooms don't exist)
 * multilingual support (priority: disease names)
 * error handling
 * option to reset each value to default individually
 * should only ask for saving changes on exit if changes have been made.
 * missing values: some awards, salaryAbilityDivisor, ResearchPointsDivisor, epidemics-related, maxDiagDiff, holdVisual, mayor frequency, training-related, object cost, room cost, disease price.. (maybe not all of them should be included.)

**testing required**
 * why do the sam files have values other than 0 or 1 for #visuals / #non_visuals? does it affect the frequency of each disease? is it implemented in CTH yet?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:06:56 PM by snowblind »

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Level editor v0.1
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
It looks very nice! Well done!

Maybe we could add this programm to version 0.30 or we could make a kind of development tool of this and put it on the Google Code page?

But before that you could maybe change the logo of the exe? It now shows the Java logo. Maybe you could add the CorsixTH logo?

The Briefing, at the General screen, is also not showed correctly. This is of course because this is all put one one single string at the .level-file and the programm doesn't understand this.
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:27 PM »
Very very nice indeed! :-D

This will make the threshold for starting to create maps incredibly much lower. :-)

As Maarten suggests you are indeed welcome to use our icon if you want to. :-) Maybe the MapEditor icon is the most relevant one? We could also possibly ask Wolter to make yet another icon...

A small but very effective thing to change is the Look & Feel: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html :-) So that it selects a look & feel based on which operating system you are on.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Thanks, if there is an easy way to make it less ugly i'll look into it.  :D And an icon too, sure.

Maybe we could add this programm to version 0.30 or we could make a kind of development tool of this and put it on the Google Code page?
I don't mind really, but shouldn't it be tested first? I don't know how the game reads level files, for example. There could be some errors.. Or is that the point of adding it to the project?

Also, I don't see anything wrong with the briefing. I've made it impossible to put a newline, so it should work correctly, right?

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:47 PM »
Great! :)

I haven't tested it, just looked at the GUI, but it should be much easier for new users (or less PC skilled people) to make a new map with this tool!
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »
Thanks, if there is an easy way to make it less ugly i'll look into it.  :D And an icon too, sure.

I don't mind really, but shouldn't it be tested first? I don't know how the game reads level files, for example. There could be some errors.. Or is that the point of adding it to the project?

Also, I don't see anything wrong with the briefing. I've made it impossible to put a newline, so it should work correctly, right?

Yes, first it needs to be tested by developers.
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Level editor v0.1.1
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
v0.1.1
- the app now changes appereance depending on your OS.
- added an icon
- fixed a bug that would not allow a negative balance as lose criteria.

The game and map editor don't show any icon for me.. so I used Wolter's icon from the forum.

The zip is now too big for an attachment so I use mediafire.

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
It works great and looks much nicer now! Well done! :)

But maybe you can add a message when loading of a level file failed, because it is for example a .map-file instead of a .level-file. Now the programm reverts automaticly to the example map and there's no message.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:41:21 PM by mrtnptrs »

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
hmm.. but on the open dialog it will only show you level files by default. Only if you change it to "all files", unexpected things could happen. It really only makes sense to load .level and .sam files, but the latter is not fully supported yet. Maybe there should be a warning.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:59 AM »
There should be a way to remove the "all files" filter I think.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Level editor v0.12
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
You're right, thanks =)

v0.12
- only .level and .sam files can be opened now
- fix: could not load start_staff
- fix: could not edit win % on emergencies
- added a warning when the population growth is never stopped.

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
You're right, thanks =)

v0.12
- only .level and .sam files can be opened now
- fix: could not load start_staff
- fix: could not edit win % on emergencies
- added a warning when the population growth is never stopped.

The compatibility with .SAM-files is not so good at the moment, but we know you're working on it! :)
But it now seems that startup the program is much slower then it was before. I will dubble-check this tonight.

Edit: I checked this at home and I think I was wrong. Does it start by you as fast as with earlier versions?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:59:51 PM by mrtnptrs »

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Not sure, I think it's the same. It seem quite slow for such a small program.. but fast enough for me not to care about it.

btw: does any of the developers have an answer to this?
* why do the sam files have values other than 0 or 1 for #visuals / #non_visuals? does it affect the frequency of each disease? is it implemented in CTH yet?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:03:26 AM by snowblind »

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
I don't think #visuals / #non_visuals are used yet and I think the numbers relate to the month that type can first appear in the hospital.  A good one to check this against is Alien DNA as that does not show up until about the fourth year in some levels.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I was wondering why there is a box to enter month for some and not others? 

Where does it get this from and how can you add a box when one is not there?