April 28, 2017, 08:13:35 AMLatest Member: Aistis

Author Topic: Level editor updated 15Oct 2013  (Read 20130 times)

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Level editor v0.13
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 06:01:41 PM »
I also would really like this to be translateble! :) But for the rest the application runs well on my computer system.
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 07:45:37 AM »
Indeed, it might be that we use maxobjstrength. My graphics card has died so I'm having a hard time checking or doing anything with CorsixTH at the moment. Checking here via my phone. We could add this to our transifex translation project. I'd say we add it to trunk in its own folder if snowblind agrees to use the MIT license? Then we need some place (like this thread, or a new board) where people can write ifnthey intend to change something. Otherwise there will probably be double work carried out. You've done the hard work here snowblind, do you think it's ok that people start contributing and changing in your code?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
Indeed, it might be that we use maxobjstrength. My graphics card has died so I'm having a hard time checking or doing anything with CorsixTH at the moment. Checking here via my phone. We could add this to our transifex translation project. I'd say we add it to trunk in its own folder if snowblind agrees to use the MIT license? Then we need some place (like this thread, or a new board) where people can write ifnthey intend to change something. Otherwise there will probably be double work carried out. You've done the hard work here snowblind, do you think it's ok that people start contributing and changing in your code?
First you PC crashed and now you have a new computer the video card died, how much luck can you have?! ;)
But these ideas sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:33:24 PM by mrtnptrs »
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
Sounds good to me, too! MIT license is fine, yes. I'll need some guidance on how to use googleCode, though.

Anyone who wants to contribute will be a great help! Though I'm really a newbie at programming, so the code might not be cut out for group work. If so then perhaps the code structure can still be changed. If you encounter any mysteries, just ask me to explain whatever I was thinking there.  ;)

I think we can use this thread first to post who is working on what, and I'll keep the list updated in the first post.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
First you PC crashed and now you have a new computer the video card died, how much luck can you have?! ;)

Well, the really unlucky part was my laptop completely dying in december, since it was not even 2 years old... This time it was the graphics card of my desktop though, which is over 5 years old, and the card has always been quite hot, so that's not as strange that something gets broken. I bought a new card today, and because of all the time that has gone by I could get a card that: 1. costs a third of what the old one cost (not even counting inflation) 2. Draws half the power of my old card 3. Is not nearly as hot during normal work 4. Doesn't sound so loud when under high load and finally 5. is a little better than the old card. So I'm also a little happy actually. :-)

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
So, back to the actual topic:

snowblind: Do you have any pending changes locally at the moment? Could you send me a pm or write in this thread your e-mail so I can allow you to commit to the repository? If you don't have more changes locally I can create the folder in the repository and give you a walkthrough how to work with SVN. :-)

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »

Well, the really unlucky part was my laptop completely dying in december, since it was not even 2 years old... This time it was the graphics card of my desktop though, which is over 5 years old, and the card has always been quite hot, so that's not as strange that something gets broken. I bought a new card today, and because of all the time that has gone by I could get a card that: 1. costs a third of what the old one cost (not even counting inflation) 2. Draws half the power of my old card 3. Is not nearly as hot during normal work 4. Doesn't sound so loud when under high load and finally 5. is a little better than the old card. So I'm also a little happy actually. :-)

Ok, then nothings wrong anymore! :) And maybe this is a good tip: remove all the dust in your desktop. Then you can be sure the graphics card won't be hot anymore!

But snowblind, you can also ask me a question about SVN if you want! :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:32:46 PM by mrtnptrs »

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
Lego, you've got mail!

Hmm so far I know how to SVN checkout, I even succeeded to compile the game once =D

Is it possible for more than one to work on the same file or how does it work?

Btw I haven't done any work since 0.13.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
You do your work locally, then at some point you decide to commit your changes to the central repository.

If someone else has made changes to the same file as you in the meantime, but in different places inside it you just need to update your copy (it will automatically merge the changes) and can then commit your changes. If you have both made changes at the same place in the file you will first have to resolve that conflict by looking at the two files side by side and decide which one to use.

Now when I add your files you will have to checkout or update your copy and start using that location as your starting point for additional development.

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Thanks for your help! Though I'm not sure about a few things yet.

I usually download the latest prebuilt SVN snapshot of the game which is ready to play with the exe, without needing to compile it. Is the prebuilt version created manually with each new revision? And should levelEdit be included in the prebuilt version then, like mapEdit?

Also, does it make any sense to include the eclipse project? I was just not sure if it's needed so I put it there.. =)

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 05:32:02 PM »
Since eclipse is cross plattform anyway, and there are no additional dependencies, I thought it could as well be there. If you have another IDE or don't use any it's very easy to use the source code files anyway.

The prebuilt version is done automatically on each commit to the repository. We could include LevelEdit there too I presume, but I think we should try it out for a while first to see if we find any serious bugs. :-)

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »
Since eclipse is cross plattform anyway, and there are no additional dependencies, I thought it could as well be there. If you have another IDE or don't use any it's very easy to use the source code files anyway.

The prebuilt version is done automatically on each commit to the repository. We could include LevelEdit there too I presume, but I think we should try it out for a while first to see if we find any serious bugs. :-)

I think you could add this program as a pre-build-version (with .exe) to the OpenGL version in one of the comming weeks. You're doing well guys!

L_konings

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
Offtopic

-Is it a good idea to make a topic about how to make a realistic .level file? That we share some tips to make us become better in creating these files. Cause I am asking myself if it would be fun to extend the original campaign with a few more maps/missions that have higher challenges etc. In the end you want to create good .level files with this tool youve created. It would be a pity if the tool is available but the .level files are with stupid values.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:02:51 PM by L_konings »

snowblind

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
L_konings: You can open a topic and find out! The default values are usually a good starting point. You can try to look at the original level files of Theme Hospital too, but they may not load correctly yet. I'll try to add full support for them. What I'm having problems with is to give a balanced population growth.

Also, rather than extending the original campaign, I think we should at some point provide a corsixTH campaign, since the goal is to be independent of the original game files eventually, right?

Lego3: I don't mind, I will still update the download link here when there have been major changes then.

started: compatibility with .SAM files.

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
Also, rather than extending the original campaign, I think we should at some point provide a corsixTH campaign, since the goal is to be independent of the original game files eventually, right?
Yes. This is the idea.

But right now we don't have any ability to "link" levels together to make a campaign.
And we need own levels for a campaign (maybe be based on the idea of the original ones?).

At some time, I hope players can make custom campaigns as well.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide