December 13, 2017, 10:48:07 PMLatest Member: Josephcelay

Author Topic: Level Advancement - Office Letter  (Read 13531 times)

Noah

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Level Advancement - Office Letter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:47:25 AM »
Very good work! Very modern and , to me, it seems perfect!

I would love to see this in-game

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
Very good work! Very modern and , to me, it seems perfect!

I would love to see this in-game
Thanks for the comments Noah! It inspires me to keep working on it, and depending on how it goes... I might... might even have a go at some of the others!

The iWork doesn't really fit the game-y, non-serious feel of the scene.
Yes, and thanks for your constructive feedback :)
I've changed a few things with the image, as mentioned below. Do you think the whole thing is a bit to "Apple" overdone? I could change it to a more generic PC if it's an issue.

Changes:
   - Tablet screen changed to Wolter's menu as this will replace the existing one at some point hopefully.
   - Spreadsheet fills computer screen, and looks less professional, more TH.
   - Animation of letter & envelope improved, and background fade to black at the end.
   - CorsixTH logo on the computer screen bezel.
   - CorsixTH logo letterhead darkened, although I think dropbox streaming does something to the colours. Download the file and it'll be how I intended.
   - Sound! There is a paper sound effect, but it needs a "level complete" sort of sound as well. Check out this site for some good ones, of if your up the the challenge, create your own!
http://www.premiumbeat.com/sfx/view/level-complete-mission-success#games

Another 720p preview render. Download to see in 720p. 3.6MB 10secs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptxedjkp9zevw73/CTH%20level%20advance2.mp4

Joe.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
I can't post an mp3 here, but you could download this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f7a60w6enhdsnl/WINLEVEL.mp3

Edit
Should have said that this is from the original and is only here to remind you of the sort of thing we are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:49:40 PM by MarkL »

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:37:18 PM »
I can't post an mp3 here, but you could download this one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f7a60w6enhdsnl/WINLEVEL.mp3

Thanks, but can we redistribute original TH audio without copyright issues?
I thought the idea was we re-create the cut-scene videos, and (eventually) re-create/improve the games graphics.

mirek2

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
I've changed a few things with the image, as mentioned below. Do you think the whole thing is a bit to "Apple" overdone? I could change it to a more generic PC if it's an issue.

Yeah, I think a more generic PC screen would be better, along with a generic keyboard.

Changes:
   - Tablet screen changed to Wolter's menu as this will replace the existing one at some point hopefully.
   - Spreadsheet fills computer screen, and looks less professional, more TH.
   - Animation of letter & envelope improved, and background fade to black at the end.
   - CorsixTH logo on the computer screen bezel.
   - CorsixTH logo letterhead darkened, although I think dropbox streaming does something to the colours. Download the file and it'll be how I intended.
   - Sound! There is a paper sound effect, but it needs a "level complete" sort of sound as well. Check out this site for some good ones, of if your up the the challenge, create your own!
http://www.premiumbeat.com/sfx/view/level-complete-mission-success#games

Another 720p preview render. Download to see in 720p. 3.6MB 10secs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptxedjkp9zevw73/CTH%20level%20advance2.mp4

Joe.

Looks excellent!

What would you think about putting the CorsixTH screen on the computer and the Hospital Budget on the tablet? Given that the boss is the player, CorsixTH should be his focus, while, in game, hospital finances are confined to the lower left corner.
It might make more sense to use a screen from the level board game [1], as that's the screen that the player is going to see next.

Also, the letter could use a torn edge and a stain or two, given its aged appearance.

That's all nitpicking, of course. :) Keep up the good work!

[1] http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,227.60.html

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »
Hi Everyone,

What would you think about putting the CorsixTH screen on the computer and the Hospital Budget on the tablet?

I see what you mean, but I was going with: The boss/player has work open on the computer (hospital finances) but is actually playing CTH on his/her tablet rather than doing work.

Here's the latest changes.

- Generic keyboard and monitor now instead of an iMac, keeping the windows fans happy ;)
- Two open source games added to the pile in the background, Tux racer and Sintel the game.
- minor modelling improvements, stained edge on the letter (not shown)

Posted below is frame 48 out of 100, and if everyone's happy with it I'll start rendering the animation in final. It'll probably take a few days, but should be done by the end of the week.

1920x1080 .png ~2.8MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3snivi3zit5f3id/5.png

Joe.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:46 PM »
Looks brilliant

Calisthenix

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
Wouldn't an email be even more modern adn efficient? Would be like this:
Player sits in front of the budget screen, an icon pops up, mous moves over, clicks and the promotion mail opens... Time to get away from the old style (not just for rights reasons)!

Nevertheless perfect one. So seems like the game goes 3d in the future!?
CU

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
Wouldn't an email be even more modern adn efficient?
I am not sure I like the idea of the email or it being printed as that is too similar to the fax we currently have.
The mod has spoken... :)

It's difficult to include everyones opinions, especially when the work is almost done!
Perhaps post your ideas for a possible opening/attract/lose cutscene if remakes of those get made.

Calisthenix

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »
Never mind my opinion!
I read somewhere something about an email animation but couldn't remember if it was a positive or negative post (was late last night). I understood that MarkLs worries about an email are not in general, but just the animation that it is "writen" while you read it is really odd.

I don't want to change the existing scene, it's very good as it is, but still like the email idea - would use it as fax replacement.
CU

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
I understood that MarkLs worries about an email are not in general, but just the animation that it is "writen" while you read it is really odd.

There's nothing I can do about that.
The text in the body of the letter is written on by the game dynamically, as it will change based on the players name, language, and the next level.

How the text gets written on will be up to the person who codes this cutscene into the game.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
I think what you are doing is fine as it is Joe, it would seem odd in my opinion to get an email offering you a new post and a letter is more traditional for special event like this. 

We are only using the fax for this at the moment because of the lack of having a movie.  However, there maybe some people who choose not to run the movies, so a fax or email backup screen would or could be used then (this is mentioned somewhere on google code)

I can't see why we could not replace the screen for the fax machine at some point though and make that a monitor with an email.  This could serve as a more up to date way of informing the player of everyday matters like a new disease or the VIP wants to visit etc.

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
Hello!

I've finished my animation!
It's now rendered out in full, and includes a "level up" sound loop I found online.
I also found some useful information on file specifications and codecs supported by the game in this post by TheCycoONE.
I'm not sure if you're still around Wolter, but I'm fairly far along in  the process of adding video support to CorsixTH.  I can tell you that to be used in the game the video should be < 30fps, in any format ffmpeg supports (h264, mpeg2, smk, mp4...), and it should be named and cut the same as the level videos in the game except with the appropriate extension.

e.g. for the transition to level 1 call it: AREA01V.MP4, level 2: AREA02V.MP4 and so forth.

If we have your permission to use them, I'm sure other people in the community are willing to slice them and add sound.
There are no restrictions on length or dimensions.  The movie code signals to the game when the movie is finished, and the movie is scaled to the game window but letter-boxed to preserve aspect ratio.  I think 600x800 is a good target, but to be honest I haven't experimented.

1920x1080p25 40Mbps H.264 | Stereo AAC 44,100Hz
~17.3MB
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xlci1p6t5fsuek2/WINLEVEL.MP4
Can't wait to see it in-game!
Joe.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:45:09 PM by Joe.w »

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
Movie stuff
Great, Joe!
I really like it! :)

Was the sound open source?
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Movie stuff
Great, Joe!
I really like it! :)

Was the sound open source?
Thanks Grimdoc!
The sounds used were bought from pond5.com, royalty free. I don't know if this is a problem, but I couldn't find many good and free sounds elsewhere. I'm not quite sure what you meant about your quote, though. :s

I'll start a new post soon about the "information dialogue" (aka the fax machine) to get some opinions on re-creating it. Perhaps using the same room, computer, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Joe.