August 21, 2019, 04:19:18 PMLatest Member: mixiup

Author Topic: Fork the project: CorsixTH and something else  (Read 2813 times)

Viandante

• Registered member
  • Rurounin
    • View Profile
Fork the project: CorsixTH and something else
« on: May 31, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »
Hello guys, just a thought:
wouldn't it be a good idea to fork the project to the classic TH and CTH?

I saw a lot of nice ideas, stuff that will improve and expand the game, modernize it and fix stuff it was never fixed.

But some of those may change the game too much.
I saw CorisxTH first when I was looking for a way to make Theme Hospital work on my modern computer.
I was 9 when the game came out, and I became 9 again when I played TH again, because it was TH but on my 24" screen, full resolution, no megapixel!

What you are suggesting here is a total rework of the classic game: new graphics, new diseases, new roles, new skills... stuff which may be good and improve the game, but I fear it might not feel like Theme Hospital again.

So I propose: let's fork the project. Let's work on new stuff on a different project, if not a different game altogether.
When a bug it's fixed, it will be fixed on both versions. When something is added that wouldn't change TH too much (better AI, multiplayer and the like) it would be added on both versions.

But when you change something that changes the overall feeling of the game, well... I'd rather have the option to just ignore the feature.

When I play Theme Hospital I want to be that 9 years old laughing at exploding heads. I want to receive faxes, be sitting on the toilet when the press reaches me, live again all those moments without something punching me in the face screaming "it's not the same game you were playing 16 years ago!".

I know it would be difficult to get people to work on two different projects (working out how to implement things on two possibly different file structures and so on).
It would also be difficult to choose what makes it in the "classic mode" and what doesn't.
But I wouldn't like the game to drift too much apart from the classic one.

I know that's just my opinion, but I had to express it!

Keep up the good work.
Italian translator - feel free to post in the subforum or drop me a PM!

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Fork the project: CorsixTH and something else
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:36:05 AM »
I think that when something is too different from TH it is being made optional, where things have been changed they have been changed for the better.  Example being that the function key short cuts had no particular order, so we changed it so F1 = Bank F2 = Statement and so on so they follow the button order. 

Another example is we have custom maps, but you can opt not to load them, we have a freeplay mode, but you can choose not to use it.

Viandante

• Registered member
  • Rurounin
    • View Profile
Re: Fork the project: CorsixTH and something else
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »
Ok, I didn't really know that big differences are going to be optional. That's something I agree on.

Changes for the better (shortcuts, more options, multiplayer) are fine by me.

I just saw so many successful suggestion and I panicked a bit, that's all! ;D
Italian translator - feel free to post in the subforum or drop me a PM!