June 27, 2019, 12:45:04 PMLatest Member: nakiux

Author Topic: Just an idea. Opinions?  (Read 2855 times)

Krigherren

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Just an idea. Opinions?
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
 From what I've gathered from my searches this hasn't been mentioned before, so, here goes:

With the idea of a potentially well-functioning multiplayer system in place in CorsixTH, whenever that may be, I've come up with the concept of 'referrals'. From what I know of medical facilities not all facilities can afford or have room to operate all types of equipment used in diagnosis in treatment. So, I imagine, when this sort of issue pops up they send the patient off to some other hospital where they actually have the proper equipment. Take that and apply it CorsixTH's potential future multiplayer by maybe, having the player who cannot treat the patient send them to a cooperating hospital rather than sending them home or to the Auto-Autopsy. The receiving player would get a fax informing them. They could accept and attempt to treat the patient or decline and force the patient to just go home. Perhaps the patient on the senders side could appear to go home, while on the receivers side, if accepted, they show up and you can attempt to diagnose and cure, if not, they don't. Not sure what it would look like in code, though, heh, I've got this C++ book and I'm pretty sure it mentions nothing of how to do any of that.

Aye, though, could even potentially work this in with the whole sabotage thing and have competing hospitals work together while you and your buddy(ies) work together against them. Still have competing scores on the scoreboard and the like, just working together to beat out the competition

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned somewhere I've missed. If it has,  I hope it's been considered. Also hoping this isn't too much of a wall of text, hehe.  ;D

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
Re: Just an idea. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
I like this idea, and I guess it is doable.
But it is far into the future I think.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Krigherren

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »
Well, being one of the new guys, I ask this, anyone planning on giving up on this project anytime soon? :P

Alberth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
Is someone giving up a requirement for something???

Since your suggestion is on top of multi-player functionality, that would be the first step. Afaik there are people working on that, although I have no clue how far they are and whether they are still making progress.
Maybe they can use a hand, I'd say, ask them.

Once multi-player is working, you can adapt it to your idea. (You can of course somewhat prepare the multi-player in the direction, but trying to combine both ideas is probably a bad idea, having one simple goal at a time is usually better, not in the last place because if it fails, you still have made some progress.)

Normally, a programming book about a language just explains the language you are programming in. It's like learning the grammar and a few words (20 or so) in a normal spoken/written language.

To use a programming language for real-world problems, you need to know what libraries exist. You also need to know about data structures and algorithms (the latter is actually more important than libraries, in the long run). With a normal language, it means that you know a lot of words in the dictionaries, and understand when to use which word (and when not).

You can read game-programming related articles and use game-related forums  to get this knowledge.

Note that data structures and algorithms are generally applicable, the same tricks can be used for many languages. For example, computing the minimum of 5 numbers is done in the same way in almost any language. That you use C++ is not so important in this area. (It's like explaining an idea that you have in your head. You can explain it basically in any language that you know. The steps in the explanation stays the same each time, but what words you use, changes with each different language.)

Last but not least, if you have multi-player, I would expect that Lua should be sufficient to implement your suggestion.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
Well, being one of the new guys, I ask this, anyone planning on giving up on this project anytime soon? :P

As this project has been going now for several years, I very much doubt it!
Some people may drop out and others will join, that is the nature of these things.  There is a strong core that is keen to see it through and keep this fantastic game alive for years to come.

It is always a little quieter in the summer, people have other things to do, like exams, go on holiday, going out and enjoying the sun and having a life etc.

Things will pick up again as Autumn arrives.