Author Topic: Music  (Read 7496 times)

Evilpooley

• Registered member
  • Composer, musician and mathemagician.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Music
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
Having recently spoken to the Dev group about doing some music for this game I wanted to get opinions before actually finalising anything and submitting it.
I'm aiming to have have 5 tracks of 3-4 minutes as a basis before I submit anything, as I know how annoying it is to have a 3 minute loop on a game like this.

What do you think of these?

Funk Concept 1   finished*

Jazz Concept 1

Jazz Concept 2

Latin Concept 1

Music by Sam Poole

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

*...for now

ok, this is now on the less original side of things, but I think it would be nice to include the original soundtrack.
Legally this is a bit of a gray area though.

It will eventually be uploaded as a mod on this forum, or more accurately I suspect it'll be uploaded on my googledrive, and it will be available for people to download and implement themselves.

Atlantis
Mend

All of these pieces can be found in this Soundcloud set.

Music last updated on: 06/07/2014

Here is a shameless plug link to direct you to my Facebook page.
After all, more likes is motivation to write more music...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:39:29 AM by Evilpooley »
(un)Professional composer!

Latest finished bit of work: Unstoppable.

Current project: Freefall

Follow me on Facebook!

Joe.w

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
Very Nice!
Do keep working on it, can't wait to hear what you come up with when finished.

What I think is lacking is a distinctive melody. The originals are immediately catchy because they had such a distinctive tune I could recognise them from just a whistle. But maybe that's because I've heard them many times over.

Sounds very promising however ;)

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
I like them. Keep up the good work :)
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

Slornie

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Wow, I really like Funk 1 and Jazz 2! :D  (I'm not as keen on Jazz 1, but I'm not sure why) 

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
I like all three, nice work

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »
Very nice indeed! At this pace we could include it in the next release?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Evilpooley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:58 PM »
Finished Funk 1 for now

I may yet change a couple of little melodic tweaks, but that is pretty much what that song will be like.
is that the kind of song people want?

(I have to admit, much as I like that song. It's not exactly background game music. If I can write enough genuinely background stuff I'd probably then remove it, but for now it's a finished song)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:53:22 PM by Evilpooley »

Follow me on Facebook!

mirek2

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
Hi Evilpooley,
I really like your music -- the background is perfect, but the main melody seems a bit too serious for a game like CorsixTH IMHO. For example, in "Th Funk 1", 1:56-2:13 feels basically perfect, but the added melody in 2:14-2:30 ruins the game-like feel for me.

What do you use for creating the music? Would you mind publishing the source? Also, could you license it under a license that allows modifications (CC-BY-SA, perhaps?), so that people could play with it and refine it down the line?

Zenloth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
With music composed in this manner, publishing a source file is largely useless unless you happen to have the same however many plugins and samples etc, then you have to consider the amount of space a three minute track may take up if you've done ten take per instrument, drums using 8 or so mics recorded at 96khz and 24bit.. it starts racking up size massively.

"Open Source Music" has been a largely disputed term and most companies come to the agreement that as long as derivatives are allowed; with no "source", so to speak, ever being formally published.

I believe the plan was for him to change to a deriv licence once he has finished playing with the tracks.

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
This looks and sounds of course very good, maybe we could implement something in the next version?  ;)
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
Funk 1: Indeed a bit to serious for CorsixTH; sorry, but it now sounds a bit as elavator music.  :) I think it needs a little bit more variation.
TH Jazz 1: See funk one.
TH Jazz 2: Is a bit of a sad song; at the beginning it would almost make me cry. ;D But I like this song the most! It has more variation.

Really sorry, but for me it looks more like elavator music. But that is what I think. Others could think completely something else.
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 04:27:19 AM »
Funk 1: Indeed a bit to serious for CorsixTH; sorry, but it now sounds a bit as elavator music.  :) I think it needs a little bit more variation.
TH Jazz 1: See funk one.
TH Jazz 2: Is a bit of a sad song; at the beginning it would almost make me cry. ;D But I like this song the most! It has more variation.

Really sorry, but for me it looks more like elavator music. But that is what I think. Others could think completely something else.

I would say the contrary if anything. It blends into the background better if there isn't too much variation and too many instruments (within each song), the important variation comes between songs. I do think they would work in CorsixTH. There are of course always tweaks that can be made, but it's still very good!

/Edvin

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
Any news on this topic? Would be really cool to have our own music! :-)

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
Any news on this topic? Would be really cool to have our own music! :-)

I hope you still want to make music for us? :)

Evilpooley

• Registered member
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
I'm still interested in doing some music for this, I've just been very busy with other projects, and recently University has somewhat gotten in the way of actually sitting down and doing any writing
I'll be back on it in a few weeks when things have calmed down again.

Follow me on Facebook!