March 23, 2017, 02:19:24 PMLatest Member: cewhite88

Author Topic: Complete graphics replacement  (Read 12919 times)

Alberth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Complete graphics replacement
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
@lego3
Blue print was also changed, look at the circle of the door.

@MarkL
These are new tiles, drawn by Zephyris, attached earlier in this topic. Everything else but those tiles is still the original.

Replacing the duplicate by some other tile may break existing levels, they may be using that tile.

You can however add it as a new tile (theoretically at the moment, my code currently does not allow new tiles). That will however make those levels incompatible with TH or older versions of CTH, so it may need some form of version checking.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

Replacing the duplicate by some other tile may break existing levels, they may be using that tile.

If you were to do the opposite of S53 and use either S45 or S46, what is the worst that could happen?  If say s46 has been used, you would just get the wrong tile in the original maps wouldn't you?  If you look at these maps they already have wrong tiles here and there. 

We would though gain the ability to use the missing tile and our own maps.

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »
You know, if you can, making things look a bit cell shaded might make theme hospital look really, really, good while being in line with what they originally intended.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
We would like to create a new repository for the graphics replacement project and need to define a license, how does this usually work when it comes to graphics Zephyris? What would you suggest?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Zephyris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »
A GPL license is popular for 100% compatibility with code... but I would suggest one of the creative commons ones would work well; because of they are designed with artistic content also in mind. GPL is probably the safest choice. I am happy either way!

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
Okay, then I suggest Creative Commons - Attribution, Share Alike as described at http://foter.com/blog/files//2012/11/Foter.com_infographic_CC.jpg since that's quite similar to the MIT License we use for the code?

I suggest we add this to the license file for CorsixTH and to a new license file for CorsixTH-Graphics at GitHub:

The graphical work bundled with CorsixTH is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License. The license is nicely described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0 while the complete license can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode

In essence this license lets you remix, tweak and build upon the original work, even for commercial purposes, as long as you correctly credit the original work and license your new creations under identical terms.

The whole license text is just so long to include, or what do you say?

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
So, would it make sense to let the LICENSE.txt file for the Graphics repository look like this:

CorsixTH-Graphics includes graphical content that is distributed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 License. Each sub-directory
contains a CREATORS.txt file that states which artists have contributed to
the content of that directory.

The license is described at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
while the complete license can be found at

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode

In essence this license lets you remix, tweak and build upon the original work,
even for commercial purposes, as long as you correctly credit the original work
and license your new creations under identical terms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CorsixTH-Graphics includes code that is distributed under the following terms:

Copyright (C) 2014 Edvin "Lego3" Linge, Albert "Alberth" Hofkamp et al.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of
this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in
the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to
use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies
of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do
so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then in each CREATORS.txt file the artists are listen in some way. Finally, when we bundle the game with these new graphics we add the top above to the LICENSE.txt file there and also list all creators in that file?

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
And by the way, would you like it to say something more than Zephyris?

Zephyris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
That looks great, I am very happy to share any sprites I make for CorsixTH under those terms. Please add my sprites to the repo, and I hope I can make more I in the future!

typhoonscotland

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
Hi, sorry for re-opening this, however I feel this needs to be included.

Can we have the option to download pre-compiled graphics packs under that licence? It's just I'm not too great with compiling at the moment, and I use the pre-compiled installers.

I hope you'd agree this is needed for us lazy people. =]   Yet again, excellent job on the replacement graphics Zephyris, Alberth and Lego3.

Thanks,
TS

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
Hi, sorry for re-opening this, however I feel this needs to be included.

Can we have the option to download pre-compiled graphics packs under that licence? It's just I'm not too great with compiling at the moment, and I use the pre-compiled installers.

I hope you'd agree this is needed for us lazy people. =]   Yet again, excellent job on the replacement graphics Zephyris, Alberth and Lego3.

Thanks,
TS

As far as I am aware our own graphics are a long way off.
I can't see why there would be any need to compile either as the existing ones are seperate

Xuxo

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
Hi !! first of all, sorry for my English, I'm Spanish and I am using a translator. Congratulations for the amazing job, rare not to having found any comments from Peter Molineux supporting the project, perhaps for legal issues with EA: P I have enough control 3Dmax and would like to collaborate with replacement graphics, but can not find that you have currently. Above creating a model of 3D characters and animating all the corresponding perpendicular and a similar appearance to look good at the same size. Would want to know if you have any future plan to increase the resolution and size of sprites, it include zoom with some specific design or as you wish me to be. I think when animating a 3D model, plus you can easily increase the size in the future, the number of frames of motion would also unlimited if you could of course increase. greetings, geniuses!

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
Welcome Xuxo, your English is just fine, much better than my Spanish.

Take a look at the graphics section of the project. 
https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH-Graphics

You can also chat with others involved in our IRC - link is at the top if this page

Xuxo

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 03:11:23 AM »
An example of what I'm working on. I initially based on the concept of Godus (sure you know who he is: D) and slowly I started to add details. I thought of an idea so that as seen in the image to reduce the size of the game, if not a minimalist design does not would appreciate anything. In'll do a few days of such bodies. You could also add an outline effect or smooth meshes'll post examples if you want to see more like it. The advantage of doing serious 3D animated once that the model would generate all the sprites alone, even several characters with the same animation. Nor if you want to replace the graphics to something more faithful to the original, but I guess the idea is that does not seem to be able to distribute and avoid legal problems, no? a greeting! (excuse my English again)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:54:46 PM by Xuxo »

mirek2

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
An example of what I'm working on. I initially based on the concept of Godus (sure you know who he is: D) and slowly I started to add details. I thought of an idea so that as seen in the image to reduce the size of the game, if not a minimalist design does not would appreciate anything. In'll do a few days of such bodies. You could also add an outline effect or smooth meshes'll post examples if you want to see more like it. The advantage of doing serious 3D animated once that the model would generate all the sprites alone, even several characters with the same animation. Nor if you want to replace the graphics to something more faithful to the original, but I guess the idea is that does not seem to be able to distribute and avoid legal problems, no? a greeting! (excuse my English again)

Looks excellent!
I hope this makes it into the game.