October 22, 2017, 06:59:54 PMLatest Member: doctorBagel2

Author Topic: Prevent doctor being called to another room or leaving altogether  (Read 3115 times)

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
I'd like to propose a nifty new option that may have been suggested before but is desperately needed (at least it is in the old TH).

Basically, can we have an option on every room that prevents the doctor or nurse from going to another room? This should be enabled by default on the operating theatre since it is almost impossible to keep doctors in that room, especially during an emergency (it should auto-enable in emergencies). In the old game this was basically a "piss off the player mechanic" since whenever the doctor in the inflater room (etc) went to the staffroom one of your surgeons would go replace him, even if their cue was five deep. There should defiantly be a mechanic to work out which room needs their doctor the least, in any case.

A further option could be to stop them leaving completely this raises their unhappiness as time goes on and ultimately makes them go crazy with exhaustion (which would be funny) then fall over.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent doctor being called to another room or leaving altogether
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
Just from memory without investgiation: Wasn't this what the "Staff stay in rooms" in the policy screen did on a global level?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

Blacksky

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »
Oh, whoops, that does what I wanted. Never mind XP
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:10:05 PM by Blacksky »

fang_xianfu

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
It's true that that setting keeps doctors and nurses in rooms once they're in them, but it's also kinda annoying to have that option on, especially in the later levels when you have a bunch of clinics that aren't in constant use. With the "staff stay in rooms" option on, you either have to micromanage staff for those rooms or have at least as many staff members as there are rooms. For example, I might not have any jellyitis patients for a while and want my doctor to go to the hair restorer and cure people there instead; with the option on he won't do that.

But this option is useful for controlling staff in situations where you need them to stay put - for example operating theatres, or to keep your highest-skilled consultants in the GP's office where they belong instead of running off to a diagnosis room every chance they get. I definitely think that there's an argument for some kind of halfway house between "Staff ALWAYS stay in their rooms" and "Any staff member might go running off if a room needs one".

What I always thought would've been nice in the original game is if staff members who were dropped into a room would then not leave that room until they became tired (or until another staff member was dropped in to replace them, or they were picked up and dropped somewhere else). That way if there's a specific person you want in a GP's office or you're trying to collect surgeons, they stay put for a while - but as soon as they're tired enough to want to go the staff room, they leave and some other staff member is summoned.

Once they're done in the staff room, they could either just join the pool of available doctors or return to the room they were dropped in - not sure what the best option would be there. Probably just going into the normal staff pool, for ease?

Good idea?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:40:48 PM by fang_xianfu »

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
How about a 'stay in zone' or 'stay in building' mechanic – this would make the player set up a zone/building in which the rooms are set to specific doctor types.

EG, a building with two GP's offices, two consultants who can't leave the building and a staff room; a building with an Op Theatre, inflator, staff room and three surgeons – while a surgeon isn't necessary for inflation, it'd make sure there are enough surgeons for the theatre while allowing clinic in the building. If it could be switched on/off on a per-zone basis, this would keep the right talent in the right rooms, and would still allow staff to switch to an extent if necessary.

Sacarathe

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »
A tickbox in staff information panel reflected some way in staff management would be sufficient I think, it would alter the game though but it sure would be lovely to make the all the doctors of a particular type stay in the same place eg consultants with surgery and research.

Flamekebab

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »
Apologies for responding to an old topic but I'd like to voice my support for this. I wish I could flag rooms as "keep this staff member".

I'm fine with staff scurrying about to balance the load on the hospital but it always seems to end up with some junior in the GP's Offices whilst my consultants are manning the Inflator!

Flagging it by staff member would work too, I expect. "Tether staff member to room" or similar :)