November 23, 2017, 11:05:14 AMLatest Member: calwallace

Author Topic: I'd Like to Rework the Music  (Read 4642 times)

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
I'd Like to Rework the Music
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:34 PM »
Hi,

I've been enjoying CorsixTH and have been thinking more and more about the music of the original game, which is wired deep into my childhood brain.

Nowadays I'm a music producer, and I'm considering extracting the MIDI files from the original and using modern production methods to rework the music.

What would you guys think about offering an optional pack of WAVs/MP3s to download for use in the jukebox?  8)

Cheers

Jim

TheCycoONE

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Like to Rework the Music
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:38:32 AM »
Hello Jim,

My understanding is that we're open to supplementing any of the in game resources, assuming the result is good quality and captures the spirit of the original.  In the mean time you could attach your music here in the forums for anyone interested.

TheCycoONE

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:43:32 AM »

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »
Oh, cool – so there's already some original composition in there, and it sounds (from those links) pretty true to the original.

What I was talking about, specifically, is reimplementing the MIDI code, running it through some modern software instruments and having it ready as WAV files. In other words, it'd be the same songs, just sounding 'like real music', and it won't vary from soundcard to soundcard.

Of course, I'm not knocking the original music we know and love – it's classic – I'm suggesting an option in the jukebox to use higher-quality stuff, actual audio, that would have had too big a file size for the original game.

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »
Can we do that and distribute it without violating copyright?

I'm not sure when it comes to "covers"?
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »
I think it would only be an issue of intellectual property, rather than physical property (ie, the ideas of the composition of the music, rather than the data that transmits music on the original CD itself). So it would probably infringe as much or as little as anything else in CorsixTH does – the concept, etc.

Have you guys actually given Bullfrog a shout and told them what you're doing? A third-party open-source project isn't necessarily bad for them, as it'll encourage more people to buy the original game – "hey I used to play that and now it's got this extra functionality, awesome!" Ka-ching!

Plus, if no-one's making money out of CorsixTH, isn't it on fairly safe ground in terms of copyright?

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
Sorry, I said Bullfrog, I suppose it'd be EA now

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
Yes, we have not gotten any positive response from them... not any negative response as in that they want us to stop doing what we do either on the other hand.

If we do a complete remastering it might be ok I think.

Theme Hospital is still sold on the PSP too, but I don't think they are selling the soundtrack anywhere, so then it should be ok I guess.

What do you think?

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »
I'll let you know when I have something to show, and opinions can be taken from there :)

But yeah, 'remix' / 'remaster' of the original theme music may be the best way to describe it

mrtnptrs

• Registered member
  • Test Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
And how does it go with the music?
Do you want to test CorsixTH before it goes public? See here for more information: http://forums.corsixth.com/index.php/topic,5300.0.html

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
I've just got a new system, so I started last night. I've managed to isolate the MIDI tracks (musical data, basically), from the original and have been tweaking it. I'll let you know when I've got something tangible.

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
Hey people,

I've come out of my hole.

Here's a video of a mixing session for one of the tunes. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/wMd7M2nnqzI

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »
Sounds good, but how are the legal aspects of this (if it were implemented in the game)?
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

JimRussell440

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
It would be subject to intellectual copyright but not mechanical, so someone should make a reasonable attempt to determine who holds that copyright. I assume Bullfrog isn't exactly an entity anymore.

I don't assume anyone will be making any money out of this mod, which makes things a little lighter, but it's still reasonable to try and track someone down…

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
EA has the rights, and they have no plan to release it is the latest I heard.