August 19, 2018, 06:52:22 PMLatest Member: deesdonkey

Author Topic: Theme Hospital 1995 Promo  (Read 6399 times)

ChrizmanTV

• Registered member
  • Map Designer, Researcher & Moderator
    • View Profile
Theme Hospital 1995 Promo
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
THEME HOSPITAL 1995 PROMO
Theme Hospital 1995 Promo

In August 2013, I managed to acquire some long lost footage of Theme Hospital. It was of a genuine non-playable demo of the game dating from October 1995. It features one of the very first builds of Theme Hospital and provides rapid hints of the game's content. The clip itself was mute, and so the Atlantis song has been dubbed over.

From the portrayal of the game in this video, it seems as though the game was intentionally darker in tone than it eventually turned out - the final video clip shows a patient with the "King's Syndrome" being manically chased by an army of Grim Reapers! Remarkably, it shows a game that has progressed immensely, even at such an early stage.

Boasting features such as 16,000 animation sequences, 4 time periods and 4 different locations - these features never actually materialised.

A number of major differences are apparent. It is interesting to note that the "Bloaty Head" illness features patients of multiple ethnicities. The women all wear dresses and look a lot different to how they turn out.

Note the incredibly complex room selection screen, featuring six (not four) different categories - "Emergency", "Radiography", "Intensive Care", "Day Clinic", "Research" and "Administration".

The object placement is not in line with the grids in some areas, and wall charts seem to be prevalent on the room walls. The plants and drinks machines look very different too, and the beds in the ward have miniature cabinets by the side of them.

Still, I hope you enjoy the video and experience the same pants-wetting excitement I felt when I first discovered it last year! :D

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Theme Hospital 1995 Promo
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
Very interesting.

There are some hints of this in the game now, for instance you can see black bloaty head patients in the animviewer, even though they never appear in game.  That vending machine is also available when you export the anims, but again you can't see it for some reason in the actual game.

Also some hints in the language file, like TV room and other things you never get to see.

What was that odd looking room with the brown floor, looked like a sun lounger in there?

ChrizmanTV

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »
Very interesting.

There are some hints of this in the game now, for instance you can see black bloaty head patients in the animviewer, even though they never appear in game.  That vending machine is also available when you export the anims, but again you can't see it for some reason in the actual game.

Also some hints in the language file, like TV room and other things you never get to see.

What was that odd looking room with the brown floor, looked like a sun lounger in there?

It was just an empty shell of a room, and once you selected the purpose for the room, it would become carpeted and ready for objects. The "sun lounger" is actually a pasting table with a few buckets around it - this symbolised that the room needed to be assigned a purpose. It's interesting to note that the brown floor is actually the floorboards that are not seen in the regular levels and must have been carried forwards without any use to the final version of the game. :)

DracoGriffin

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:28 AM »
That's eerie...

I'm pretty interested about the time period remark... current and future or maybe some Victorian medicine?

ChrizmanTV

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:57:14 PM »
That's eerie...

I'm pretty interested about the time period remark... current and future or maybe some Victorian medicine?

Indeed! The four time periods were "Medieval", "Victorian", "20th Century" and "Future". :D

Slornie

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Interesting. So if those art assets are still in the game files, can Corsix-TH reimplement them for a bit more variety? :)

It was just an empty shell of a room, and once you selected the purpose for the room, it would become carpeted and ready for objects. The "sun lounger" is actually a pasting table with a few buckets around it - this symbolised that the room needed to be assigned a purpose. It's interesting to note that the brown floor is actually the floorboards that are not seen in the regular levels and must have been carried forwards without any use to the final version of the game. :)
That looked pretty cool, actually.  Being able to plot out the layout of your rooms without having to commit to what they will actually become.  Would love to see something like this as an enhancement/toggle in future for Corsix!  It would also tie in nicely with the proposal elsewhere on these forums for a slow-restoration of "destroyed" rooms - once the destruction has faded/been cleaned up the room is reset to a blank canvas as it were with the paste table indicating that it is available for refurbishment and reuse.

Fred_PJ

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
Is that demo supposed to be rare? Because I've had it since 1996. And it has sound. Here's a capture of the demo with the original sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZM1ohoU6g

I also have this second non-playable demo from 1996:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28VSnh4Row

Enjoy. ;)

ChrizmanTV

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »
Very nice! For some reason, I couldn't get the sound to work even though I tried the standard DOSBox procedures - maybe there was something not quite right with the application itself. Still, very nice that you have a version with working sound! :)