November 19, 2017, 04:39:39 AMLatest Member: nedaro

Author Topic: New announcer messages  (Read 2689 times)

Wuzzy

• Registered member
    • View Profile
New announcer messages
« on: May 13, 2015, 01:58:08 AM »
Hi! I thought it might be useful if the announcer gives more messages for certain events. Let's just brainstorm and collect some ideas.

I begin:
  • After an earthquake has destroyed stuff: “Oh no! The earthquake has destroyed X rooms and killed Y patients and Z staff members.” (don't forget to apply correct pluralization, if possible)
  • When your money reaches a critical low (lose condition)
  • When your popularity reaches a critical low (lose condition)
  • Extra warning 3 months before you lose if you don't “fix” the lose condition (i.e. its Oct 1, you have -5000000$ and the announcer says something like “Your hospital will go bankrupt if you get your bank account above XXXXXX$ before Jan 1!”.)
  • Whenever you have reached any goal (i.e. something like “You have now cured enough patients to advance.” (better wording needed))
  • When a machine gets old and clunky (low strength / high “used” counter or however it is called) and should be replaced
  • When many machines are damaged badly
  • (Please add your own ideas)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:01:27 AM by Wuzzy »

Lego3

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
Re: New announcer messages
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:12:08 AM »
Yes, especially for winning/losing conditions I've always thought that the announcer is a little too vague.
For the end of the world spell, press Control, Alt, Delete.

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
There are numerous things left to add in terms of advise from the advisor and is on the list of things to do
https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/wiki/Programming-Ideas#advisor-being-helpful-in-more-situations

I assume this is what you mean, as to me announcer relates to announcements and they are a different thing completely.

Making a list is not a bad idea though, as there were lots of things he would pop up to tell us.

Zenloth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 12:29:45 AM »
Yeah, I would always consider the announcer to be the woman who does voiceover announcements and the advisor to be the pop-up guy with hints & tips

In relation to what I thought the topic was about:
I'm guessing the announcer will want re-voicing at some point? If this were to happen, what would be the vision in terms of voice? Male/Female? Accent?

In the hopes of being helpful, I've made a quick spreadsheet with all the already recorded announcements that I've found and tried to organise them into groups (commenting enabled to anyone with this link).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JKFvwl4cCF3a2TeKHntyFidLuZopH9GB92CAwJ31GfQ/edit?usp=sharing
May help with proposed priority system.

If people feel like suggesting things to add to this list, just say and I'll put a new bit in (for when a re-voicing is attempted)

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »
The spreadsheet is a nice idea, but any announcement would have to be in multiple languages.  I think in the original there were five including English and there are many more visual languages with corsixth

Zenloth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:30 PM »
So is the verbal announcer going to be scrapped completely?

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:28:22 AM »
What makes you think that?

I think the idea of the spreadsheet is to record the actual text used in the existing and any new announcements.

Zenloth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
Oh sorry! I interpreted your last message wrong, my bad!