November 19, 2017, 02:56:06 AMLatest Member: nedaro

Author Topic: New TH Music!  (Read 2112 times)

fellowslothb

• Registered member
    • View Profile
New TH Music!
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Not sure if this should be posted here or whether it has been posted before but I shall post it...

I stumbled across a remastered soundtrack the other day while browsing YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4E687B79796B72CE

That is the playlist of all songs.

Cheers!
Fellowslothb

MarkL

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
Re: New TH Music!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »
We are aware of these re mixes, but I believe we won't ship them with the game for copyright reasons.

There is nothing stopping an individual from downloading them and using them, that is up to you.

Krytie2X4B

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »
Hi. I am the creator of those remastered versions. You have my permission to include them if you are able.

Download links are below:

Mp3 version: https://db.tt/X1GoPwgb

Ogg version: https://db.tt/7E72sQG7

MarkL

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
The copyright for the original music will be held by EA Games.

I think this is where the problem might be, perhaps someone with more knowledge on this can confirm?

Zenloth

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
Even remastering/mixing, the IP would still be in the hands of the composer(s) ; Looks like composer was Russell Shaw and the music/sound programmer was Tony Cox.

That aside, the rights do seem to still be in the hands of EA. Thus derivatives, remixes, remasters or whatever you want to flag it as, would be a no go (classed as a derivative work. Copyright can only be issued for a derivative work "only if the derivative work is lawful, because of a license or other "authorization.""

Although from a performers perspective, PRS has the same stance about arrangements of tunes that are within copyright. "You must check with the copyright owner of the original copyright material that they grant their permission for the arrangement"

This type of remix/master/whatever would be classified as a "purely adaptive arrangement"; not altering the primary or secondary melodies, keeping the chord progression etc..

You could potentially use snippets under the guise of samples, but it still needs to be a "new" composition.

I think there would be less of an issue if the originals (or remixes) were released as a mod pack or similar (not included with the game) released by an individual.

Bottom line, I don't see the original tracks being able to be released with the game without permission from the copyright or IP holder.

MarkL

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation