October 23, 2017, 06:20:56 AMLatest Member: doctorBagel2

Author Topic: Is CorsixTH dead?  (Read 1155 times)

xXJamie_Xx

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Is CorsixTH dead?
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
So... the last update to CorsixTH was this very day last year. It disheartens me to see this game be deserted as it is and was one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, because nobody has posted here for a long time, I have no hopes of any reply's. If any of the devs are still out there, please at least say whether you plan to update the game anymore. At least release more maps? I am looking for fresh content so community made maps are one of the easiest ways to supply this. Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen.

Thanks for recreating the game that was my childhood. It really was a nice feeling.  :) :) :) :)

forge33

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Re: Is CorsixTH dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
Infact I was wondering the same yesterday. I play it every day on my tablet while on the bus :)

Grimdoc

• Translator & Superman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
It is not dead, but the developers are busy with their own stuff I guess.
New devs are always welcome to boost the progress.

New maps are mainly up to the community to do something about.

What you can do:
- Can you program/code? Or are you willing to learn it?
- Can you help out in any other way? Graphics, sounds, music, translations?
- Like us on Facebook and/or otherwise mention us.

This forum hasn't been the meeting point for developers, sadly.
They mainly reside in the mentioned Github site and on our IRC channel (#corsix-th on the Freenode server).
Please pay those places a visit if you plan to help out.
Do you have a question or want to report a bug? CorsixTH newbie guide

Do you want to make (or improve) a translation? CorsixTH translation guide

xXJamie_Xx

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
Thanks for letting us know! I will check out the Github. Just wanted to make sure that CorsixTH hasn't been forgotten. I'm pleased that it hasn't!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

TheCycoONE

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
I'm afraid if the status quo continues the pace is going to appear rather glacial.

I took over the project more or less by accident a few years ago. I wrote the movie code and got it merged, then I volunteered to take over the Windows packaging from Lego3. I pushed for the migration from googlecode to GitHub with Jorgen and ended up as a project owner in the process, along with Corsix who was already fairly absent by that time, Lego3 who was really leading the project back then in my opinion; and Jorgen who was also doing the SDL2 transition. For a short time there was a lot of momentum, more than the project had seen in some time, then Lego3 got married and pulled back from the project; Jorgen moved on to other things after the SDL2 port; and I was left as the project leader shortly after joining.

Since then there has been some significant outside contribution, and the irc channel is still active most days, but the pace has slowed. I have an expanding family myself, and coding interests outside of CorsixTH, which preclude dedicating a lot of time to the project. The project needs someone who has the time to fully understand it, and to massively overhaul the state system to prevent the sort of untraceable errors that are happening currently (with people getting stuck, rooms becoming inoperable, and so forth) We have discussed the idea of breaking save game compatibility for a release so that we can make that happen; but without anyone knowledgeable and dedicated enough there would be no gain.

As is, I will try to review and merge patches, and I will definitely coach anyone interested in becoming a serious contributor to the project. I hope I can also get another release out in the near future - but in the mean time I recommend people use the appveyor releases since they are current and for the most part stable.

I hope that answers any questions you might have about the state of the project.

Stephen E. Baker