September 24, 2018, 04:09:38 AMLatest Member: HolyDante

Author Topic: Why doesn't this map work?  (Read 6246 times)

JustChris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
Why doesn't this map work?
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
Well, I created a map (not finished yet), but I can't build something in the second room, that I wanted to set as "given from the begining"(parcel 1).
Does anybody know why this map isn't working? bug or invalid maplayout? 
My wish list 12/21/2010
- implementation: animation of contaminated person
- implementation: animation of person without backbone
- implementation: missing menues (graphs)
- fix: KI is implemented but not really playing
- change startreputation

MarkL

• View Profile
Re: Why doesn't this map work?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
Really strange that you can't build there, have you tried to allocate a different parcel to it to see if you can build then?
Did you start this map from scratch or modify a multiplayer map?
The reason I ask is if you look at the purchase screen, none of the other plots are available, so it could be that you can never own them.
As plot 1, the first small building is ok, and that one as edging pieces, why not make a copy of your map and destroy the other buildings.  Then add one building at a time, only this time use the edging pieces that you used on the first.  Then test it with one extra building to see if its ok.  This is a guess on my part, as apart from the missing edges to the paths and the possability that it may be a multiplayer map; I can't anything wrong!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:11:27 PM by MarkL »

JustChris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
Quote from: MarkL
Really strange that you can't build there, have you tried to allocate a different parcel to it to see if you can build then?
Did you start this map from scratch or modify a multiplayer map?
This is my own map, not a multiplayer map. Yes I have tryed that, but it hasn't worked.

But I guess I figured out whats wrong - I think it may be a bug or something ...
If you make a room with too many doors in the walls, the map editor won't recognize it as a room. I got to know that by enableing the "flag"-option in the map editor. Places, were you can build things on it are green-marked with an "H" in it - Simple waypoints don't have the "H", they're just green-marked.

See here the room with too many doors (no matter if there are doors or just gaps in the walls:

And here, I've closed some of the gaps for the doors by building walls there.

What do you think?
My wish list 12/21/2010
- change startreputation

KasperVld

• Community Manager
  • Work to ride, ride to work
    • View Profile
    • Corsix-TH Community website
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »
I think you should open an issue on google code, nice find! :)

Corsix

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:00:52 AM »
Yes, the flag calculation is .. dubious, at best.

wolfman

• Project Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »
Well, having such "gaps" as entrances is not supported (you don't find them in original maps either).
I think you'll find that it works if you put doors in all those gaps.

But granted, the map editor could do with a number of improvements. :)
[The dev also known as Roujin]

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »
Hi Wolfman
He did have doors to start with, I think he removed them to demonstrate that once removed the flags changed. 

Hi JustChris
I have been playing with your map having read what you had discovered.  I am not so sure it is soley to do with too many doors though.  What I did was removed the doors to your upper two blocks (the two above the one with the problem) and then all areas became buildable, however doing the same to your NE block first did not work.
I have attached your map with this done for you.

JustChris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
Hi Wolfman
He did have doors to start with, I think he removed them to demonstrate that once removed the flags changed.
exactly, Mark! It doesn't make a difference, if there were doors or just gaps... (I have already written that above the 1st pic)

Hi JustChris
I have been playing with your map having read what you had discovered.  I am not so sure it is soley to do with too many doors though.  What I did was removed the doors to your upper two blocks (the two above the one with the problem) and then all areas became buildable, however doing the same to your NE block first did not work.
I have attached your map with this done for you.
I have tryed your corrected map. The second building is now buildable, as you say, but all other areas have become unbuildable. See my screenshot: The middle building has now green-marked flags with an "H" in it - that means that you can build things there. But all other rooms have lost the "H" - that means, that people can go there, but you won't be able to cover them with buildings. :(

So the problem is still there and it was not my fault (?) :(

btw: I have avoided the problem by simply closing the doors... (see my new map "the madhouse" in the map forum) but this cannot be the solution, I think.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:24:47 PM by JustChris »
My wish list 12/21/2010
- change startreputation

JustChris

• Registered member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
Unfortunately the problem bars me to create new maps: See my new map: It's not working due to this problem, too.
  :'( :'( :'(
I planed to release that on Dec. 24th, when Beta5 will be released aswell.   :'(
My wish list 12/21/2010
- change startreputation

MarkL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »
it seems it really does not like a lot of doors, which is a shame.  Have you tried to block all the doors, switch on the flags, then place the doors one by one.  You might then see which ones cause the problems, although it should not be an issue as such as there are levels in TH that have doors on more than one face, but it might help you get around this issue until it is fixed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:17:02 PM by MarkL »